Re: [nslu2-general] Re: How to do pop3 to get arrived mail?

  • CN
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:10:05 -0000, jbgluttmer wrote:

      > please excuse that I ask you: did you read the how-to?
      >
      > normally if you do not have many users, you have a system like this:
      >
      > (your ISP pop3/imap mail account)
      > |
      > -> fetchmail take the e-mails via pop3, imap and many more
      > |
      > -> the local MTA (in your kind it can be postfix) distribute the e-mails
      > (e.g. to you own user, of your friend, spam...
      > |
      > -> to get them on your client you have something like cyrus-imap
      > or qpopper etc.
      >
      > As far as I understand you will be happy if you take the steps discribed in the how-to.

      JoLu,

      Yes I had read the how to, at least twice :) You see, I had been using postfix on a redhat
      linux for a while; all I had to do was just install postfix and configure it. I barely speaks
      *nix, just enough to keep a personal hobby server running for a couple of years. In my case
      I have a domain hosted on the same server and my isp is not involved in mail services! (Yes,
      I do have other mail accounts on external isps, but non existant for this discussion.) The
      mail for my domain comes into my mail server via smtp directly, and the postfix puts them
      into user spools, and my external mail client reads the mail via pop3. When I sent mail I
      might send it thru my postfix, or send it directly thru remote smtp servers like Google's. So
      my situation might be a bit non standard :( My ignorance was (and still is) which program
      on the redhat linux (which was already there) that was doing the pop3 daemon service... If
      I use the same one, I hope, perhaps I would see fewer new unfamiliar situations. No, I do
      not have many msgs coming into my server everyday (mostly spam, which postfix rejects
      very well :) ). And I do not have any imap client just a pop3.

      Thank you for your help.

      Cordially, Chacko