Re: [nslu2-general] Re: How to do pop3 to get arrived mail?

  • CN
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
      JoLu,

      Thanks. I have postfix installed and I can send mail to outside ok. So let me
      ask a clarification, since I have never used fetchmail before, at least not
      knowingly :). If I install fetchmail ipkg, then can I pop3 to the slug to retrieve
      the mail delivered to the local addresses by postfix? I do not think I need
      IMAP, do I?

      Which one is easier to configure and use fetchmail or Cyrus-Imap? Which is
      leaner?

      BTW, can pop3s available on the slug? What ipkg if any need to be installed
      for this?

      Cordially, Chacko

      --Original Message Text---
      From: jbgluttmer
      Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:01:55 -0000

      Hello Chacko,

      in the HowTo-Part of the NSLU2-Wiki is a good description how to set up an e-
      mail server.
      I built up the server twice (on two different machines) and it is working:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SetUpAnEmailServer

      You need postfix to send (locally an externaly) e-mail. To fetch the e-mail you
      have to use
      fetchmail. Cyrus-Imap is an e-mail POP3 and IMAP server.

      /JoLu

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@g...> wrote:

      > Is anybody using postfix on unslung here? How does one retrieve mail from
      the
      > slug? The normal mail appears to be not available. Is there any ipkg or other
      > way of making pop3 working?
      >
      > Happy New Year!
      > Chacko
      >
      > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:43:09 -0800, CN wrote:
      >
      > > I have postfix installed on my unslung and it appears ok. What ipkg might
      be
      > > availble for the standard mail program? My search did not find any.
      Thanks.

      > > Cordially, CN

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "nslu2-general" on the web.

    • CN
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
        On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 07:44:31 -0800, CN wrote:

        > If I install fetchmail ipkg, then can I pop3 to the slug to retrieve
        > the mail delivered to the local addresses by postfix? I do not think I need
        > IMAP, do I?

        I think I was not clear in my last post. After postfix which is already installed
        here, all I need is the pop3 server to be used by pop3 from outside. I have no
        need to read the mail from a telnet, or any other mail protocol. So what is the
        leanest additional ipkg needed. Is there any pop3 server already there as part of
        unslung which I need to enable?

        Cordially, CN
      • jbgluttmer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
          Hello, again,

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "CN" <t4chacko@g...> wrote:

          > JoLu,
          >
          > Thanks. I have postfix installed and I can send mail to outside ok. So let me
          > ask a clarification, since I have never used fetchmail before, at least not
          > knowingly :). If I install fetchmail ipkg, then can I pop3 to the slug to retrieve
          > the mail delivered to the local addresses by postfix? I do not think I need
          > IMAP, do I?

          please excuse that I ask you: did you read the how-to?

          normally if you do not have many users, you have a system like this:

          (your ISP pop3/imap mail account)

          -> fetchmail take the e-mails via pop3, imap and many more

          -> the local MTA (in your kind it can be postfix) distribute the e-mails
          (e.g. to you own user, of your friend, spam...

          -> to get them on your client you have something like cyrus-imap
          or qpopper etc.

          As far as I understand you will be happy if you take the steps discribed in the how-to.

          > Which one is easier to configure and use fetchmail or Cyrus-Imap? Which is
          > leaner?

          you will need both (as far as I know). fetchmail is easy to configure (in the normal cases).

          > BTW, can pop3s available on the slug? What ipkg if any need to be installed
          > for this?

          It is possible (but I did not try it) to configure to fetch mail via pop3s. In your local LAN
          you will not need it (IMO).

          Regards,

          /JoLu

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
            On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:10:05 -0000, jbgluttmer wrote:

            > please excuse that I ask you: did you read the how-to?
            >
            > normally if you do not have many users, you have a system like this:
            >
            > (your ISP pop3/imap mail account)
            > |
            > -> fetchmail take the e-mails via pop3, imap and many more
            > |
            > -> the local MTA (in your kind it can be postfix) distribute the e-mails
            > (e.g. to you own user, of your friend, spam...
            > |
            > -> to get them on your client you have something like cyrus-imap
            > or qpopper etc.
            >
            > As far as I understand you will be happy if you take the steps discribed in the how-to.

            JoLu,

            Yes I had read the how to, at least twice :) You see, I had been using postfix on a redhat
            linux for a while; all I had to do was just install postfix and configure it. I barely speaks
            *nix, just enough to keep a personal hobby server running for a couple of years. In my case
            I have a domain hosted on the same server and my isp is not involved in mail services! (Yes,
            I do have other mail accounts on external isps, but non existant for this discussion.) The
            mail for my domain comes into my mail server via smtp directly, and the postfix puts them
            into user spools, and my external mail client reads the mail via pop3. When I sent mail I
            might send it thru my postfix, or send it directly thru remote smtp servers like Google's. So
            my situation might be a bit non standard :( My ignorance was (and still is) which program
            on the redhat linux (which was already there) that was doing the pop3 daemon service... If
            I use the same one, I hope, perhaps I would see fewer new unfamiliar situations. No, I do
            not have many msgs coming into my server everyday (mostly spam, which postfix rejects
            very well :) ). And I do not have any imap client just a pop3.

            Thank you for your help.

            Cordially, Chacko