Don't Laugh

  • fpapia
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
      I hope this is the correct fourm. If not please direct me to where I
      should be.

      I've read the posts and the most of the FAQ's for this device and I
      need a bit of a leg up.

      I need to produce a filter for RS-232 devices. Source --> NSLU2 -->
      Target.

      Source sends RS-232 ASCII data stream.
      Filter (nslu2) mods the data stream.
      Target recieves the data stream and performs.

      Done it in the past on "Regular" Unix boxes in the late 70's but this
      embedded thing is a bit new for me.

      1) Which LinuX? Debian, RedHat? Which is best?
      2) Which C compiler is best?
      3) Which USB-Serial converters are best?
      4) Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Stanley P. Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
        Start here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage

        You have I think four or five choices of Linux for the slug all listed
        down the left side under "Projects".

        A bit of searching there should answer most of your other questions
        too, I don't know enough to answer your questions.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fpapia" <fpapia@y...> wrote:

        > I hope this is the correct fourm. If not please direct me to where I
        > should be.
        >
        > I've read the posts and the most of the FAQ's for this device and I
        > need a bit of a leg up.
        >
        > I need to produce a filter for RS-232 devices. Source --> NSLU2 -->
        > Target.
        >
        > Source sends RS-232 ASCII data stream.
        > Filter (nslu2) mods the data stream.
        > Target recieves the data stream and performs.
        >
        > Done it in the past on "Regular" Unix boxes in the late 70's but this
        > embedded thing is a bit new for me.
        >
        > 1) Which LinuX? Debian, RedHat? Which is best?
        > 2) Which C compiler is best?
        > 3) Which USB-Serial converters are best?
        > 4) Any advice would be appreciated.

      • cnczane
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006

          > > Done it in the past on "Regular" Unix boxes in the late 70's but this
          > > embedded thing is a bit new for me.

          (Aside: sed/awk kind of stuff?)

          I'm by no means proficient. (I just locked my keys inside my NSLU2 and
          had to re-image the firmware...)

          However, there is one message I want to send you: "An NSLU2 which has
          been 'Unslung' (which see) to an external USB drive ~_IS_~ as much a
          'regular Unix box' as any of the Linux stripe: thanks to packages
          downloadable for your benefit via 'ipkg.'" (There are several messages
          in there, but they boil down to this: ~expect~ it to be able to do
          what you want.)
          --
          CZ
        • fpapia
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 18, 2006
            Thanks for the response. I am using UnSlung 6.x and got the new
            firmware loaded.

            Now for the hard part.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Stanley P. Miller" <yahoo@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2006
              No, 'C' programming not sed/awk

              Looking for someone who can do this for me for a fee.

              I finaly got the box up with unSlung 6.x on it and poking around it
              does look very much like the old days.

              Know anyone who is interested in earning a few bucks?