Which packages to install first / whats installed by default?

  • paulgrps
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2005
      After unslinging can you suggest which packages should be the first to
      install?

      I have search and found one post that suggests the following. Do these
      seem like sensible suggestions any to remove or add?

      bash
      busybox
      dropbear/openssh
      ntpclient
      nano

      Is OpenSSH worth installing instead of dropbear? Is OpenSSH and its
      complexity over dropbear that much quicker for basic usage?

      Are any utilities installed by default? For example, if you do not
      install nano is there any text editors (e.g. vi etc) available?

      TIA
    • Mike Westerhof
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005
        Vi is installed (it's part of the pre-installed busybox), but there are many other editors. Your list is a good start, with one exception -- the busybox package - don't install that unless you intend to install very little else (it gets in the way).

        Here's the list I've been using. Some of this is obvious, but others are little utilities I needed at some point that either did not exist in the base installation, or where the busy-box version didn't suffice.

        This system provides, in addition to basic file sharing via Samba and NFS, an FTP server, small web server, DNS server, DHCP server, TFTP services for PXE boot, and I also loaded some basic utilities so that I could verify md5sums, and unpack various archives on the system:

        bash
        nfs-utils
        ntpclient
        openssh
        lsof
        inetutils
        coreutils
        bzip2
        gzip
        procps
        atftp
        proftpd
        tar
        jove
        samba
        swat
        dnsmasq
        file
        perl
        diffutils

        I also installed busybox-base, and manually created some links for some utilities I use, but don't need more than the busybox version. Again, don't install the "busybox" package - it will create many links for commands that will just get in the way later on. Someone correct me if this has been fixed yet. The links I needed were "which" and "more".

        Not all the packages installed and ran perfectly - for example, there is a known problem with atftpd and inetd or xinetd, so I have to run that a a daemon.

        After unslinging can you suggest which packages should be the first to
        install?

        I have search and found one post that suggests the following. Do these
        seem like sensible suggestions any to remove or add?

        bash
        busybox
        dropbear/openssh
        ntpclient
        nano

        Is OpenSSH worth installing instead of dropbear? Is OpenSSH and its
        complexity over dropbear that much quicker for basic usage?

        Are any utilities installed by default? For example, if you do not
        install nano is there any text editors (e.g. vi etc) available?

        TIA

        Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

      • knighjm
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2005
          Not sure about this longer list as I am still not clear about what
          they all do!?

          For example, why I might want TFTP - I guess that would mean I didn't
          need it!

          I would certainly agree on the following:
          bash
          openSSH
          - I tried dropbear but it didn't seem to work properly for what I
          wanted - e.g. remote access to the box (behind my home router) from
          work (behind another firewall) using Putty. It also allows me to set
          up SSH tunnels so I can access my home routers web admin, get remote
          desktop on my home desktop, etc.
          BTW, although I guess openSSH uses more memory, it is no more
          difficult to install/use - it needed no configuration at all!
          NTPd
          - Seems like the easiest way to keep the clock right (follow the FAQ)
          NANO
          - VI !!! No thanks, life is too short.

          It would be really helpful to use Linux novices (too many years spent
          on Windows I'm afraid) to have better explanations of the other
          packages. The package descriptions all seem to make the assumption
          that you already know what the package does and why.

          I've also installed:
          rsync
          screen - handy occasionally
          samba - the update seems worthwile if only to get the web interface
          wakeonlan - so I don't need to keep my home machines running all the time

          I will probably add a torrent client and some other bits once I've got
          my head around this lot.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof" <mwester@d...>
          wrote:

          > Vi is installed (it's part of the pre-installed busybox), but there
          are many other editors. Your list is a good start, with one exception
          -- the busybox package - don't install that unless you intend to
          install very little else (it gets in the way).

          > Here's the list I've been using. Some of this is obvious, but
          others are little utilities I needed at some point that either did not
          exist in the base installation, or where the busy-box version didn't
          suffice.

          > This system provides, in addition to basic file sharing via Samba
          and NFS, an FTP server, small web server, DNS server, DHCP server,
          TFTP services for PXE boot, and I also loaded some basic utilities so
          that I could verify md5sums, and unpack various archives on the system:

          > bash
          > nfs-utils
          > ntpclient
          > openssh
          > lsof
          > inetutils
          > coreutils
          > bzip2
          > gzip
          > procps
          > atftp
          > proftpd
          > tar
          > jove
          > samba
          > swat
          > dnsmasq
          > file
          > perl
          > diffutils
          >
          > I also installed busybox-base, and manually created some links for
          some utilities I use, but don't need more than the busybox version.
          Again, don't install the "busybox" package - it will create many links
          for commands that will just get in the way later on. Someone correct
          me if this has been fixed yet. The links I needed were "which" and
          "more".

          > Not all the packages installed and ran perfectly - for example,
          there is a known problem with atftpd and inetd or xinetd, so I have to
          run that a a daemon.

          business Computer internet access
          > Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

          Service.

        • Asko Kauppi
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
            One wouldn't remember, which exact package carries the 'md5' utility?

            Also, where should I find such info in the Real World, since "ipkg
            list | grep md5" says none.

            -ak

          • Kai Steinbach
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
              On 1/3/06, Asko Kauppi <askok@...> wrote:
              > One wouldn't remember, which exact package carries the 'md5' utility?

              coreutils or busybox. The binary is called md5sum.

              > Also, where should I find such info in the Real World, since "ipkg
              > list | grep md5" says none.

              On http://ipkgfind.nslu2-linux.org/ .
              There's a link called "Package Search Engine" on the
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/ left side.

              HTH - Kai