Twonkly on NSLU2 now disk doesn't spin down

  • bty597733
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 11, 2005
      had my NSLU2 running unslung for 5 weeks before installing Twonky,
      and ensured that the spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity set on
      my Maxtor One Touch 160gb hard disk was working as expected.

      However, now Twonky is installed (and running well) my hard disk no
      longer spins down

      I have set the 'scantime' to -1 so Twonky shouldn't be re-scanning for
      content. I can now only assume Twonky (or some other related process)
      is now generating regular activity on my disk, which is preventing it
      from spining down.

      Does any one know what this actvity is, or how I can identify it?
      Even, better, is there a known work around for this?

      With thanks, Jason.
    • bty597733
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2005
        Ok, I've changed the scantime from -1 to 1440, as I didn't have a db
        file specified my content was lost on re-boot. I assume once a scan
        as taken place a db file is created that I could point to (with
        the 'dbfile' setting) or this this just for databases from external
        systems?

        After a making this change to scantime, my disk now powers up on the
        hour, and powers off again approx. 40 minutes later. Coming back
        alive on the hour again!

        My maxtor disk is set to spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity. I
        couldn't say for sure if this is the same pattern of activity the
        disk had before installing Twonky, as I didn't monitor it this
        closely before. Is this activity unslung, or twonky? and is there an
        easy way to reduce this disk activity?

        With thanks, Jason.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@b...>
        wrote:

        > had my NSLU2 running unslung for 5 weeks before installing
        Twonky,
        > and ensured that the spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity set
        on
        > my Maxtor One Touch 160gb hard disk was working as expected.
        >
        > However, now Twonky is installed (and running well) my hard disk
        no
        > longer spins down
        >
        > I have set the 'scantime' to -1 so Twonky shouldn't be re-scanning
        for
        > content. I can now only assume Twonky (or some other related
        process)
        > is now generating regular activity on my disk, which is preventing
        it
        > from spining down.
        >
        > Does any one know what this actvity is, or how I can identify it?
        > Even, better, is there a known work around for this?
        >
        > With thanks, Jason.

      • bty597733
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 13, 2005
          I've now mounted /var and /dev as a ram disk (as well as setting the
          spin down on my hard drive), and this seems to of done the trick.
          Cheers Dirk.

          I created the script "rc.bootin" in the /unslung folder as follows:

          #!/bin/sh
          # /unslung/rc.bootbin
          # Tested with unslung firmware 4.20 and 5.5
          # Script section to create ramdisk for /var

          /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /var:"
          /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=256
          /bin/cp -rp /var/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
          /bin/mkdir -p /var.state
          /bin/mount -o bind /var /var.state
          /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /var
          /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt

          /bin/echo "Creating ramfs for /dev:"
          /bin/mount -t ramfs ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt -o maxsize=128
          /bin/cp -rp /dev/* /mnt/tmpmnt/
          /bin/mkdir -p /dev.state
          /bin/mount -o bind /dev /dev.state
          /bin/mount -o bind /mnt/tmpmnt /dev
          /bin/umount /mnt/tmpmnt

          # Return and continue execution of system rc.
          return 1
          # [EOF]

          As well as the script "S00remount", also in the /unslung folder:

          #!/bin/sh
          # /opt/etc/init.d/S00remount
          # A diversion script to remount the drive(s) without access
          # times being recorded (the update of access times can
          # prevent drives sleeping)

          # Usually it is enough just to do /sda1 as this is the usually
          # the one that holds the system.
          /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
          /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
          #/bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda2 with noatime"
          #/bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda2

          # EOF - include this line

          Both scripts were chmod to 755. Rebooted the slug and all is now
          quiet with my disk.

          Now if I could just fugure out why i can't detect a flash drive...

          wrote:

          > Ok, I've changed the scantime from -1 to 1440, as I didn't have a
          db
          > file specified my content was lost on re-boot. I assume once a
          scan
          > as taken place a db file is created that I could point to (with
          > the 'dbfile' setting) or this this just for databases from
          external
          > systems?
          >
          > After a making this change to scantime, my disk now powers up on
          the
          > hour, and powers off again approx. 40 minutes later. Coming back
          > alive on the hour again!
          >
          > My maxtor disk is set to spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity.
          > couldn't say for sure if this is the same pattern of activity the
          > disk had before installing Twonky, as I didn't monitor it this
          > closely before. Is this activity unslung, or twonky? and is there
          an
          > easy way to reduce this disk activity?
          >
          > With thanks, Jason.
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@b...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > had my NSLU2 running unslung for 5 weeks before installing
          > Twonky,
          > > and ensured that the spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity
          set
          > on
          > > my Maxtor One Touch 160gb hard disk was working as expected.
          > >
          > > However, now Twonky is installed (and running well) my hard disk
          > no
          > > longer spins down
          > >
          > > I have set the 'scantime' to -1 so Twonky shouldn't be re-
          scanning
          > for
          > > content. I can now only assume Twonky (or some other related
          > process)
          > > is now generating regular activity on my disk, which is
          preventing
          > it
          > > from spining down.
          > >
          > > Does any one know what this actvity is, or how I can identify
          it?
          > > Even, better, is there a known work around for this?
          > >
          > > With thanks, Jason.

        • bloedmann999
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2005
            Hi,
            I have exactly the same effect. I have a OneTouch set to spin-down
            after 30 minutes, and /var on ramdisk. It stopped spinning down as
            soon as I set scantime to 720 (12 hours). Restting to -1 and it spins
            down again, only now my playlists aren't shown (known problem).

            Cheers Brian

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@b...> wrote:

            > Ok, I've changed the scantime from -1 to 1440, as I didn't have a db
            > file specified my content was lost on re-boot. I assume once a scan
            > as taken place a db file is created that I could point to (with
            > the 'dbfile' setting) or this this just for databases from external
            > systems?
            >
            > After a making this change to scantime, my disk now powers up on the
            > hour, and powers off again approx. 40 minutes later. Coming back
            > alive on the hour again!
            >
            > My maxtor disk is set to spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity. I
            > couldn't say for sure if this is the same pattern of activity the
            > disk had before installing Twonky, as I didn't monitor it this
            > closely before. Is this activity unslung, or twonky? and is there an
            > easy way to reduce this disk activity?
            >
            > With thanks, Jason.
            >
            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bty597733" <j.wolves@b...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > had my NSLU2 running unslung for 5 weeks before installing
            > Twonky,
            > > and ensured that the spin down after 15 minutes of inactivity set
            > on
            > > my Maxtor One Touch 160gb hard disk was working as expected.
            > >
            > > However, now Twonky is installed (and running well) my hard disk
            > no
            > > longer spins down
            > >
            > > I have set the 'scantime' to -1 so Twonky shouldn't be re-scanning
            > for
            > > content. I can now only assume Twonky (or some other related
            > process)
            > > is now generating regular activity on my disk, which is preventing
            > it
            > > from spining down.
            > >
            > > Does any one know what this actvity is, or how I can identify it?
            > > Even, better, is there a known work around for this?
            > >
            > > With thanks, Jason.

          • CN
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2006
              On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:42:38 -0000, bty597733 wrote:

              > I've now mounted /var and /dev as a ram disk (as well as setting the
              > spin down on my hard drive), and this seems to of done the trick.
              > Cheers Dirk.

              Dirk,
              Instead of remouting as noatime, is it possible to set the these atime writes
              delayed to, say once every hour? I have no idea if my question is way off ... I
              barely speak *nix :) If yes, how do we change that parameter.

              What is the downside to not writing the access time?

              Cordially, Chacko
            • todsr1
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 22, 2006
                Does this same trick work with Unslung firmware 6.8, or how's about
                the idea towards the bottom of http://www.nslu2-
                linux.org/wiki/FAQ/SpinDownUSBHarddisks using the mount_var_dev.sh
                script, does this work with Unslung firmware?

                Thanks,

                Simon.