Unslung ?

  • Andy Gee
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2005
      Ok excuse the newbie......I had the unit unslug to a thumb drive and working fine but decided to swap to an external hard drive. I plugged the new external drive up and formatted it via the web config. I then followed the directions to unslug to disk 1 and it appears to complete but upon rebooting the slug the top status light never turns green again. I have tried following the faq about removing the root and then redoing everything but running the command rm /.sd#1root gives me an error and doesn't complete.

      Anyone have any suggestions or could possibly point me in the right direction?

      TIA,

      Andy

    • mr_excited_2k
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2005
        I have tried following the faq about removing the root and then
        redoing everything but running the command rm /.sd#1root gives me an
        error and doesn't complete.

        -- The (possible) fix

        if you typed "rm /.sd#1root" then your issue is the #

        Do the following.

        at the prompt - "ls -a /"

        Look for a file like ".sda1root" or maybe ".sdb1root" <-- the # above
        was to be replaced by a letter :)

        It corresponds to the drive you installed to. /dev/sda or /dev/sdb etc

        Hope this helps!

        Rich

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Gee" <andy@r...> wrote:

        > Ok excuse the newbie......I had the unit unslug to a thumb drive and
        working fine but decided to swap to an external hard drive. I plugged
        the new external drive up and formatted it via the web config. I then
        followed the directions to unslug to disk 1 and it appears to complete
        but upon rebooting the slug the top status light never turns green
        again. I have tried following the faq about removing the root and
        then redoing everything but running the command rm /.sd#1root gives me
        an error and doesn't complete.

        > Anyone have any suggestions or could possibly point me in the right
        direction?

        > TIA,
        >
        > Andy

      • pmptg
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2009
          It's late and I 'unslung' my NSLU which is good but instead of relaxing and starting fresh in the morning, I went ahead and installed ssh and FireFly (mt-daapd). Now I can't get it working (Firefly) and my brain is getting Fried. How do I start from scratch? Can I just reformat my drive (Port 2) and start from there or is it deeper than that....... HELP!!!!

          Thanks,

          Paul
        • Darryl Humphreys
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28, 2009
            Worst case scenario simply unsling again....

            Darryl Humphreys

            On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 3:47 PM, pmptg<pmptg@...> wrote:

            > It's late and I 'unslung' my NSLU which is good but instead of relaxing and
            > starting fresh in the morning, I went ahead and installed ssh and FireFly
            > (mt-daapd). Now I can't get it working (Firefly) and my brain is getting
            > Fried. How do I start from scratch? Can I just reformat my drive (Port 2)
            > and start from there or is it deeper than that....... HELP!!!!
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Paul

          • Mike Westerhof (mwester)
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 28, 2009
              pmptg wrote:
              > It's late and I 'unslung' my NSLU which is good but instead of relaxing and starting fresh in the morning, I went ahead and installed ssh and FireFly (mt-daapd). Now I can't get it working (Firefly) and my brain is getting Fried. How do I start from scratch? Can I just reformat my drive (Port 2) and start from there or is it deeper than that....... HELP!!!!
              The procedure is described on the wiki and should be in the mailing
              lists archives for nslu2-general and/or nslu2-linux...

              but to repeat it, just use the "reset button" method to enter upgrade
              mode on the NSLU2 and reflash the firmware, and as for the disk/flash to
              which you unslung, you'll need to return that to its factory settings
              (using any technique you wish, but most folks find that plugging the
              device into a Linux or Windows host and returning it to a
              single-partition, FAT-or-NTFS formatted to be easiest; I've also posted
              a URL to an HP utility that automagically repartitions and reformats USB
              devices on Windows hosts -- again google/search is your friend).

              Mike (mwester)