Re: High Definition mpeg2/mpeg4 streaming from NSLU2 ?

  • jhaveri
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

      > I don't do FTP but the table on my profile page shows a HTTP write
      > speed of 18 Mb/s. That's doing a wget on the slug to download a
      file
      > from a webserver on my local network. But don't lose hope, reading
      > (serving) files tends to be faster than writing. Of course if you
      > want to record HDTV then you may care about the write speed.
      >
      > Zhyla
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mudit Wahal" <mwahal@y...>

      I am using NSLU2 to stream ripped DVDs to MG-35 (software DVD
      player). I found the play to be perfect for mpeg files encoded below
      about 5000 kbps. If the DVD is encoded with average of say 9000 kbps
      (I don't know the max , maybe double or 18000 kbps?)the play is very
      bad, it stutters horribly. This surprises me, since the NSLU2 read
      speed can be 8 MB/s or 64000 kbps lot higher than the DVD mpeg.

      This is not consistent. If the NSLU2 read spped can be as high as
      64000 kbps, why does the DVD play sttuters so horribly?

      Bharat
    • jhaveri
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 8, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

        > I don't do FTP but the table on my profile page shows a HTTP write
        > speed of 18 Mb/s. That's doing a wget on the slug to download a
        file
        > from a webserver on my local network. But don't lose hope, reading
        > (serving) files tends to be faster than writing. Of course if you
        > want to record HDTV then you may care about the write speed.
        >
        > Zhyla

        I am using NSLU2 to stream ripped DVDs to MG-35 (software DVD
        player). I found the play to be perfect for mpeg files encoded belo
        about 5000 kbps. If the DVD is encoded with average of say 9000 kbps
        (I don't know the max , maybe double or 18000 kbps?)the play is very
        bad, it stutters horribly. This surprises me, since the NSLU2 read
        speed can be 8 MB/s or 64000 kbps lot higher than the DVD mpeg.

        This is not consistent. If the NSLU2 read spped can be as high as
        64000 kbps, why does the DVD play sttuters so horribly?

        Bharat
      • Mudit Wahal
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 9, 2005
          Bharat,

          What are you running on NSLU2 to stream the movies ? Are you using some sort of media server such as wizd, twonky, swiss center ? Also, is your network all wired from the NSLU2 to the MG-35 ?

          A guy on avsforum indicated that he is running wizd on NSLU2 and can stream HD (high definition) to his Snazio player. But some people did report issues with MG-35. May be because MG-35 may not have enough buffer/memory available.
          Check out avsforum's Digital Media Server forum. They have tons of information about MG-35.

          Thanks

          Mudit

          jhaveri <jhaveri@...> wrote: --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

          > I don't do FTP but the table on my profile page shows a HTTP write
          > speed of 18 Mb/s. That's doing a wget on the slug to download a
          file
          > from a webserver on my local network. But don't lose hope, reading
          > (serving) files tends to be faster than writing. Of course if you
          > want to record HDTV then you may care about the write speed.
          >
          > Zhyla

          I am using NSLU2 to stream ripped DVDs to MG-35 (software DVD
          player). I found the play to be perfect for mpeg files encoded belo
          about 5000 kbps. If the DVD is encoded with average of say 9000 kbps
          (I don't know the max , maybe double or 18000 kbps?)the play is very
          bad, it stutters horribly. This surprises me, since the NSLU2 read
          speed can be 8 MB/s or 64000 kbps lot higher than the DVD mpeg.

          This is not consistent. If the NSLU2 read spped can be as high as
          64000 kbps, why does the DVD play sttuters so horribly?

          Bharat

          Computer internet security Firmware development Computer internet business Computer internet access Computer internet help

          ---------------------------------

        • jhaveri
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mudit Wahal <mwahal@y...> wrote:

            > Bharat,
            >
            > What are you running on NSLU2 to stream the movies ? Are you
            using some sort of media server such as wizd, twonky, swiss center ?
            Also, is your network all wired from the NSLU2 to the MG-35 ?

            > A guy on avsforum indicated that he is running wizd on NSLU2 and
            can stream HD (high definition) to his Snazio player. But some
            people did report issues with MG-35. May be because MG-35 may not
            have enough buffer/memory available.
            > Check out avsforum's Digital Media Server forum. They have tons
            of information about MG-35.

            > Thanks
            >
            > Mudit

            Mudit:

            You guessed correct. I have no mediaserver running on NSLU2, just
            Samba. MG-35 can see Samba shared files when I turn it on. MG-35 and
            NSLU2 are on a 10/100 ethernet switch, the swich says it 100 Mbit/s.

            The funny thing is that when I serve the same DVD with Twonky to my
            Dlink DSM-320 media receiver, there is no stutter, so it maybe the
            buffering issue.

            I did visit AVSForum. Their recommendation is to buy Raid or unRaid
            servers such as Infrant or Linkstation Terrastation which are fast.
            They said NSLU2 is too slow to serve.

            I did Samba speed measurements on NSLU2.

            I ssh into slug. Then I use smbmount command to mount Samba shares on
            the USB HD on NSLU2. Then I used

            time dd bs=1M count=100 of=/dev/null if=hugefile.dat

            where hugefile is from samba mount, and I get read speed of 2.34
            MB/s, somewhat less than 3-3.5 MB/s I read here.

            When I issue the same command to read hugefile from /share/hdd/data
            the read speed is 8.87 MB/s much higher.

            What I don't get is even my Samba file serving rate is higher than
            the DVD rate. I played the DVD in PowerDVD and watched the bitrate as
            it varied. The audio is 448 Kbps and video max was about 9500 Kbps.
            So total is 10000 kpbs or 10000/(1024*8) or 1.21 Mbps about half of
            my Samba 2.34 Mbps.

            MG-35 and NSLu2 are on Linksys 5 port 10/100 switch (which also
            has a wireless bridge to connect NSLU2 to my upstair computer).
            Normally when I test the DVD play, I remove the wireless bridge. I
            have even connected MG-35 directly to NSLU2 with a crossover cable.
            And the same stutter.

            So unless someone has some ideas, I am giving up NSLU2 for
            mediaserving ( I'll still use it as a Network Storage), In that case
            does anyone has a recomendation for a faster NAS device. I don't have
            a big budget for $1000 terrastation, I am thinking soething like a
            Kuro Box or a Simplehare? But I don't want to get stuck with another
            low Samba serving NAS.

            Thanks for any help.

            Bharat
          • Mudit Wahal
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 11, 2005
              I'm having discussions on mythtv-users list also.

              http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/166576#166576
              Steve @ mythtv-users list is successfully able to stream high defn contents.
              Based on his comments, I placed an order at amazon.com

              You are also comparing totally two different setup (MG35+Samba against Twonky+DSM320). Twonky uses http streaming protocol and DSM-320 is a different device altogether. You need to compare MG-35 using Twonky. I dont know if that is a working combination as I've not delved into MG-35 too much.

              Thanks

              Mudit
              P.S: ccing to you directly as yahoo groups is acting funny. My posts do not seem to make it for 1-2 days !