Re: [nslu2-general] openslug random disk i/o

  • Phil Endecott
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2005
      > Greetings,
      >
      > installed openslug (2.7b) successfully yesterday, and everything's working great except...
      > Every couple of minutes I get 10-40 seconds of random disk activity. The slug is running
      > very few services (vsftpd, sshd), and according to /proc/meminfo, swap is unused and I
      > have about 8MB main memory available also. Any recommendations on how to track down
      > what is writing to the disk? Aside from the noise being annoying, I'm worried that the
      > lifetime of my disk is being shortened. Thanks,

      I've twice tried to resolve this sort of problem on a Linux PC. In one
      case it turned out that the buzzing noise every minute or so was the
      disk doing its self-test. In the other case I used
      /proc/sys/vm/block_dump (or some similarly-named file). If I recall
      correctly you have to write 1 into that file and then dmesg will report
      mountains and mountains of debug output telling you which files are
      being accessed. However, this doesn't seem to be present on my Slug;
      presumably the kernel has to be compiled with the right options enabled
      or module loaded.

      Good luck,

      --Phil.