Private share not accessible

  • fritz0nline
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
      I'm not able to access the folders in my privately shared directories.
      The public share (DISK 1) is fully RW accessible, and I'm able to map
      the privately shared directories, but as soon as I try to access any
      of the sub-directories in the privately shared directory, a message
      pops up saying "R:/foo is not accessible. Access is denied"

      I don't think it is a problem with the user:pass, as I'm able to map
      the drive.

      Any suggestions?
    • jpalten
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
        I don't know what firmware you are using. Assuming it is Unslung or
        Openslug, check fstab "who" is mounting the external drive.

        I got mine setup as follows:
        added a user "guest" with gid 501
        added a line to fstab saying:
        /dev/sda3 /share/sda3 vfat
        defaults,suid,uid=501,gid=501,umask=0000 0 0

        Which means something like: my sharepartition is the 3rd disk of the
        external drive, I mount it on /share/sda3, it is fat32, and I want it
        to be mounted with user "guest"

        If you don't have the uid and gid, then it might be mounted as root
        without giving you access to it.

        Also check the /etc/samba/smb.conf, to see who is allowed to write to
        the share. Mine is like this:
        writable = yes
        write list = jelle

        Just a guess.

        Jelle

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fritz0nline"
        <dylanbodington@b...> wrote:

        > I'm not able to access the folders in my privately shared
        directories.
        > The public share (DISK 1) is fully RW accessible, and I'm able to map
        > the privately shared directories, but as soon as I try to access any
        > of the sub-directories in the privately shared directory, a message
        > pops up saying "R:/foo is not accessible. Access is denied"
        >
        > I don't think it is a problem with the user:pass, as I'm able to map
        > the drive.
        >
        > Any suggestions?

      • fritz0nline
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "jpalten" <jpalten@h...> wrote:

          > I don't know what firmware you are using. Assuming it is Unslung or
          > Openslug, check fstab "who" is mounting the external drive.

          Unslung 5.5 beta

          > I got mine setup as follows:
          > added a user "guest" with gid 501
          > added a line to fstab saying:
          > /dev/sda3 /share/sda3 vfat
          > defaults,suid,uid=501,gid=501,umask=0000 0 0
          >
          > Which means something like: my sharepartition is the 3rd disk of the
          > external drive, I mount it on /share/sda3, it is fat32, and I want it
          > to be mounted with user "guest"
          >
          > If you don't have the uid and gid, then it might be mounted as root
          > without giving you access to it.

          As far as I can tell, /etc/fstab is set during the Slug drive install
          process. The slug uses ext3, and I'm loath to use guest to mount anything.

          > Also check the /etc/samba/smb.conf, to see who is allowed to write to
          > the share. Mine is like this:
          > writable = yes
          > write list = jelle

          I've got

          browseable = yes
          writeable = yes

          for all shares.

          I think it has something to do with the owner/permission on the files
          themselves. I've set 777 on all files, and I'm able to freely access
          everything via samba and nfs.

          I'll list the things I've checked:

          1. /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf everything browseable, writeable
          2. /opt/etc/samba/smbusers all samba shares linked to the right users
          3. /opt/etc/exports directories and ip address all correct

          Can anyone suggest the correct owner/group/permissions in privately
          shared directories.