Re: Short Windows Question?

  • jpalten
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2005
      Yes, you can play from Windows.
      What kind of playing do you intend to do?

      - some filesharing: use the regular linksys firmware, contact the
      shares the normal windows' way, admin using the webinterface, even
      connect to the slug over internet to access the files.

      - a little more than just some filesharing, being a little daring:
      upgrade to the unslung firmware, still do the filesharing as before
      but also explore the linux side of the slug

      - do it yourself playing: upgrade to the openslug firmware and setup
      your slug the way you want to. I got one of mine doing filesharing and
      mt-daapd (itunes server), the other one is business filesharing,
      webserver and vpn tunnel.

      - compiling new firmware or programs for the slug: either natively (on
      the slug itself) or in a seperate linux(-like) environment. I did this
      using colinux within Winddows. Make sure you set up quite some
      diskspace for colinux to do the compling (like 10GB).

      All can be done from Windows, lot of it by connecting to the slug
      through telnet or ssh.

      What you can't do from windows is fattening the slug or turboing.
      You''ll need to do that using your soldering iron, or nailclippers.
      See Wiki for more info.

      Have fun playing.

      Jelle

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <zetahc@y...> wrote:

      > I would like to play with my nslu2. Do I need a system running a
      > linux distro do perform these ops, or can I perform this from web
      > interface? I

    • Chris Zetah
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2005
        Hey Thanks Jelle,
        I've been aware of the possibilities of my NSLU2 but I have only really
        gotten my toes wet using linux so I'm a little hesitant. Anyway, I'd like
        to setup the iTunes server as well as use it as a webserver from Iraq to
        post photos and other things. Basically I need a project!
        Chris

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs