Re: Change MAC address of NLSU2

  • zhyla
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
      <fransmeulenbroeks@y...> wrote:
      > Jelle, I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, but personally I
      > would never recommend such a setup.
      > I definitely would put a good router between your slug and the
      > internet, if only for the built-in firewall and the provisions in it
      > to deal with all kind of attacks (like smurf, tcp flood, syn flood etc)

      Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
      near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
      described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
      long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
      things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

      Zhyla
    • fransmeulenbroeks
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

        > Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
        > near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
        > described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
        > long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
        > things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

        Zhyla, I understand exactly what you say.
        Basically I would suggest to have a hw router as a first line of
        defence. How good it is depends of course on the router sw.
        Also when you want to config your nslu as router you need to add
        additional network ports (e.g. a usb ethernet adapter, or a wifi
        adapter if you want to go wireless). Still configuring the nslu for
        that is not straightforward, and you need to know exactly what you are
        doing in order to get it configured right.

        Probably it is better to get the linux router from linksys (forgot the
        type) and use that one, if you want router functionality.

        The original poster wanted to use his slug as a server and needed to
        change the MAC address because his ISP apparently tied his
        subscription to a specific MAC address.

        My comments were triggered by this. If, apart from the server, he
        wants to use the internet connection, he also requires routing
        functionality.

        Then again, I didn't know that such ISP's still exist. I think that in
        NL even chello/upc ceased doing this (as it does not allow people to
        connect e.g. an Xbox)

        Anyway, when it comes to protection I still feel 2 is better than 1.

        Best regards, Frans.
      • Tim Ansell
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
          Have you tried the following command?

          ifconfig eth0 hw ether <address>

          Mithro

          On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 12:51 +0000, m4cloud wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
          > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.
          >
          > -- Mac
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Gary Kaufman
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
            It looks like there's a command in Redboot that's
            designed to change the mac address (at least in the
            serial console). I haven't tried it, but it might be
            worth a look....

            - Gary

            http://mail.yahoo.com