NSLU2 vs Kurobox

  • ricardo_calina
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 18, 2004
      Hi all,
      Dont want to start a war on my 1st day. I got a NSLU2...
      but Why would I NOT buy a KURO and dump my nslu2?

      Kuro seems to be a lot more advanced. more services,
      easier to customize and all.....

      Thanks
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 18, 2004
        Easier is not what motivates most the people driving this list and I think
        only you can answer your question.
        These are the questions that I ask myself before jumping into such a
        project.

        * What is my skill level? You should always be pushing to learn some new
        skills but don't set yourself up for failure either.
        * How much time/money do you have to invest in the result?
        * What is the chance that the end result will satisfy your need?

        I'm sure there are others.

        I went the LinkStation/Kuro route as the NSLU2 route seems to be to
        problematic/unstable for my liking. I'm also building an even more open
        mini-ITX PC that draws about 65-70 watts of power.

        JR

        > Dont want to start a war on my 1st day. I got a NSLU2...
        > but Why would I NOT buy a KURO and dump my nslu2?
        >
        > Kuro seems to be a lot more advanced. more services,
        > easier to customize and all.....
        >
        > Thanks
      • Roy M. Silvernail
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 18, 2004
          ricardo_calina wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >Dont want to start a war on my 1st day. I got a NSLU2...
          >but Why would I NOT buy a KURO and dump my nslu2?

          No reason at all. Thanks for playing and we'll be seeing you.

          Seriously, you're asking a meaningless question. This is a list for
          hacking the NSLU2. Some of us (Jim Buzbee and myself, for example) have
          both. And none of us get commission payments from either vendor, so we
          really don't have a dog in that fight. Use what you think does the job
          for you.

          --
          Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
          "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 18, 2004
            I should think for many people the number 1 item of concern is price.
            The NSLU2 can be gotten for $70-$80 where as the Kuro is $160. Also the
            NSLU2 is designed around USB media enclosures (flash and hard drive
            based ones of course) and the Kuro is based on an internal hard drive (
            but can support USB)

            On the other hand the communities are very different (I am just going to
            speak of the english speaking communities, as the Kuro/LinkStation has a
            very active Japanese/Korean community.) The NSLU2 has a very lively and
            well supported community that seems very up to creating NSLU2 specific
            creations. The Kuro/LinkStation community just doesn't seem to be as
            involved, part of this may be the fact that there is less need because
            of how open everything is about the Kuro/LinkStation.

            All in all, I think they both server two very different market segments.
            One is a very consumer/price oriented product and one is a very geek
            oriented product.

            There's my two cents.

            ricardo_calina wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > Dont want to start a war on my 1st day. I got a NSLU2...
            > but Why would I NOT buy a KURO and dump my nslu2?
            >
            > Kuro seems to be a lot more advanced. more services,
            > easier to customize and all.....
            >
            > Thanks

          • robert_devantier
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 19, 2004
              Maybe those of you that use both can give a quickie comparison of
              how you like each box? From a performance-standpoint, how do you
              like each box? For instance, I've read the NSLU2 seems to slow to a
              crawl with multiple users using it. Is the same true for the
              Linkstation/Kurobox? I see the CPUs run about the same bogomips
              (NSLU2@131.48 vs Linkstation@130.66), and the Linkstation has twice
              as much memory but half the flash of the NSLU2. Other than that,
              the software seems to be the next big difference.

              I personally like the Linksys products, I have an NSLU2 right now
              that I'm going to replace my SMEServer Unix box with (takes up too
              much space). But I'm not happy that the drive is spinning 24/7 and
              that it is external (using a 20GB 2.5" drive right now). I'm
              considering a jump over to the Linkstation. I like the internal
              drive idea, only one power cord to deal with.

              My transfer test, using a Mac G4 to the NSLU2 with a USB 2.0 20GB
              2.5" drive (probably 4200rpm) yielded 1.26 copied to the NSLU2 in
              5.5 minutes (500K/sec) and copied off the NSLU2 in 5.0 minutes
              (550K/sec).

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy@r...>
              wrote:
              > ricardo_calina wrote:
              >
              > hacking the NSLU2. Some of us (Jim Buzbee and myself, for
              example) have
              > both. And none of us get commission payments from either vendor,
              so we
              > really don't have a dog in that fight. Use what you think does
              the job
              > for you.
            • Tim Lewis
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 19, 2004
                ricardo_calina wrote:

                > Dont want to start a war on my 1st day. I got a NSLU2...
                > but Why would I NOT buy a KURO and dump my nslu2?

                It's not like that around here. Many of us have both units, and
                use them for different purposes.

                These are the similarities and differences between the units:

                * The LinkStation/Kuro are PowerPC, while the NSLU2 is Intel IXP420.
                * The LinkStation has two usb ports, and an internal drive (the Kuro
                version has one usb port and an empty internal drive bay).
                The internal drive is available in 120, 160, 250, and 300 GB sizes.
                One usb port can be used for a drive, and the other for a printer.
                * The NSLU2 has two usb ports, both of which are used for drives.
                * The LinkStation can be scheduled to power on and off, while the NSLU2
                can be scheduled to turn off (or restart) only.
                * The NSLU2 can perform backup of arbitrary shares on the network.
                * The LinkStation has FTP access to files, while the NSLU2 has web
                access to files (download only). Both have SMB/CIFS access to files.
                * The LinkStation starts at around $240 for the 120 GB version
                (the Kuro is $160 direct from Buffalo), and the NSLU2 starts at
                about $75.
                * The NSLU2 has an external power supply, while the LinkStation has an
                internal power supply.
                * Both units can perform a full backup of the primary drive to
                the secondary drive.
                * Both units have web-based administration.
                * Both units have a front-mounted power button.

                So, there you have it. They're both good devices. Find a place
                with a good return policy and try them both out.

                - Tim
              • ocrlho
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 19, 2004
                  Both seems very equal... the 2 things I was looking for on the Linksys
                  that I am not sure IF Kuro has it...

                  1- Spin down of HD. (I think Kuro has it) I have no idea what makes a
                  HD spin down, is something that can be implemented via SW?

                  2- Upload of files via a web interface (port 80 or 8080). I could even
                  go for FTP. But it sucks not be able to send files to it while remote.
                  Any got any ideas here?

                  Thanks

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
                  > ricardo_calina wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dont want to start a war on my 1st day. I got a NSLU2...
                  > > but Why would I NOT buy a KURO and dump my nslu2?
                  >
                  > It's not like that around here. Many of us have both units, and
                  > use them for different purposes.
                  >
                  > These are the similarities and differences between the units:
                  >
                  > * The LinkStation/Kuro are PowerPC, while the NSLU2 is Intel IXP420.
                  > * The LinkStation has two usb ports, and an internal drive (the Kuro
                  > version has one usb port and an empty internal drive bay).
                  > The internal drive is available in 120, 160, 250, and 300 GB sizes.
                  > One usb port can be used for a drive, and the other for a printer.
                  > * The NSLU2 has two usb ports, both of which are used for drives.
                  > * The LinkStation can be scheduled to power on and off, while the NSLU2
                  > can be scheduled to turn off (or restart) only.
                  > * The NSLU2 can perform backup of arbitrary shares on the network.
                  > * The LinkStation has FTP access to files, while the NSLU2 has web
                  > access to files (download only). Both have SMB/CIFS access to files.
                  > * The LinkStation starts at around $240 for the 120 GB version
                  > (the Kuro is $160 direct from Buffalo), and the NSLU2 starts at
                  > about $75.
                  > * The NSLU2 has an external power supply, while the LinkStation has an
                  > internal power supply.
                  > * Both units can perform a full backup of the primary drive to
                  > the secondary drive.
                  > * Both units have web-based administration.
                  > * Both units have a front-mounted power button.
                  >
                  > So, there you have it. They're both good devices. Find a place
                  > with a good return policy and try them both out.
                  >
                  > - Tim
                • Tim Lewis
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 19, 2004
                    ocrlho wrote:

                    > 1- Spin down of HD. (I think Kuro has it) I have no idea what makes a
                    > HD spin down, is something that can be implemented via SW?

                    I don't think that either unit can spin down the attached USB drives,
                    because Linux, in general, cannot spin down USB drives.
                    The LinkStation/Kuro can spin down its internal HD.

                    If you have a Maxtor OneTouch or a Buffalo DriveStation attached to one
                    of these units, the drive will spin itself down.

                    If you have a Maxtor, attach it to your computer first and install the
                    software. Then, set the spin down value for the drive using the OneTouch
                    software. I have set mine set for 10 minutes, which seems to work out ok.

                    > 2- Upload of files via a web interface (port 80 or 8080). I could even
                    > go for FTP. But it sucks not be able to send files to it while remote.
                    > Any got any ideas here?

                    The LinkStation/Kuro has built a in FTP server. Neither unit allows upload
                    of files through a web interface.

                    The Unslung group has added SSH to the Linksys NSLU2. I use scp to copy
                    files securely to the NSLU2. WinSCP3 seems to work fine, although a bit
                    slowly.

                    - Tim
                  • Robert Devantier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 19, 2004
                      Tim -

                      Thanks for your summary information. Can you tell me how the
                      transfer performance is for the NSLU2 and the Linkstation? Do they
                      each do OK with a couple of users connected?

                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lewis <spurp@c...> wrote:
                      > ricardo_calina wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dont want to start a war on my 1st day. I got a NSLU2...
                      > > but Why would I NOT buy a KURO and dump my nslu2?
                      >
                      > It's not like that around here. Many of us have both units, and
                      > use them for different purposes.
                      >
                      > These are the similarities and differences between the units:
                      >
                      > * The LinkStation/Kuro are PowerPC, while the NSLU2 is Intel
                      IXP420.
                      > * The LinkStation has two usb ports, and an internal drive (the
                      Kuro
                      > version has one usb port and an empty internal drive bay).
                      > The internal drive is available in 120, 160, 250, and 300 GB
                      sizes.
                      > One usb port can be used for a drive, and the other for a
                      printer.
                      > * The NSLU2 has two usb ports, both of which are used for drives.
                      > * The LinkStation can be scheduled to power on and off, while the
                      NSLU2
                      > can be scheduled to turn off (or restart) only.
                      > * The NSLU2 can perform backup of arbitrary shares on the network.
                      > * The LinkStation has FTP access to files, while the NSLU2 has web
                      > access to files (download only). Both have SMB/CIFS access to
                      files.
                      > * The LinkStation starts at around $240 for the 120 GB version
                      > (the Kuro is $160 direct from Buffalo), and the NSLU2 starts at
                      > about $75.
                      > * The NSLU2 has an external power supply, while the LinkStation
                      has an
                      > internal power supply.
                      > * Both units can perform a full backup of the primary drive to
                      > the secondary drive.
                      > * Both units have web-based administration.
                      > * Both units have a front-mounted power button.
                      >
                      > So, there you have it. They're both good devices. Find a place
                      > with a good return policy and try them both out.
                      >
                      > - Tim
                    • Tim Lewis
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 19, 2004
                        Robert Devantier wrote:

                        > Thanks for your summary information. Can you tell me how the
                        > transfer performance is for the NSLU2 and the Linkstation? Do they
                        > each do OK with a couple of users connected?

                        You're welcome. I don't have my LinkStation yet, so I can't
                        say anything about its performance. With the NSLU2, I get
                        about 12.8 Mbps over cable and 7.5 Mbps wireless with
                        Windows filesharing. The NSLU2 does do OK with a couple of
                        users connected. It does not function like an expensive NAS
                        device, but it does do OK.

                        - Tim
                      • Spöttel Otmar
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 20, 2004
                          Tim Lewis wrote:
                          > You're welcome. I don't have my LinkStation yet, so I can't
                          > say anything about its performance. With the NSLU2, I get
                          > about 12.8 Mbps over cable and 7.5 Mbps wireless with
                          > Windows filesharing. The NSLU2 does do OK with a couple of
                          > users connected. It does not function like an expensive NAS
                          > device, but it does do OK.
                          Hello Tim,

                          do you mean 12,8 MegaByte per second or 12,8 MegaBit per second?

                          Otmar.
                        • Tim Lewis
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 21, 2004
                            Spöttel Otmar wrote:

                            > do you mean 12,8 MegaByte per second or 12,8 MegaBit per second?

                            Spöttel,

                            Oh, I'm sorry if I didn't make that entirely clear.
                            I meant Mega bits (small b).

                            Remember, that's an estimate of throughput over SMB, not
                            a direct test using something like ttcp.

                            - Tim
                          • James Ronald
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 21, 2004
                              >> Spöttel Otmar wrote:
                              >>
                              >> do you mean 12,8 MegaByte per second or 12,8 MegaBit per second?
                              >
                              > Spöttel,
                              >
                              > Oh, I'm sorry if I didn't make that entirely clear.
                              > I meant Mega bits (small b).
                              >
                              > Remember, that's an estimate of throughput over SMB, not
                              > a direct test using something like ttcp.
                              >
                              > - Tim

                              Spöttel,

                              I copied a 1,093,719KB file (1K = 1024 Bytes) from a WindowsXP 2.4 GHz box
                              to my LinkStation using Windows files sharing in about 232 Seconds or approx
                              4.7MB/Second. Coping the file in the opposite direction took about 158
                              seconds or approx 6.9MB/Second. I see why you question Tim. If his post is
                              really MegaBit then the NSLU2 is really slow if it was suppose to be
                              MegaByte it's really fast.

                              JR
                            • Michael Oberg
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 21, 2004
                                Another difference between the NSLU2 and the LinkStation:
                                - NSLU2 has 32MB of RAM.
                                - LinkStation has 64MB of RAM.

                                If you need a HD which spins down, buy a Maxtor OneTouch, there is a
                                (Windows only) untility to set the spin down due to activity setting
                                from anywhere from 5 minutes to something like 9 hours. I think mine
                                (default setting as I do not have a windows box) spins down at about
                                an hour of inactivity.
                              • 7tronics Plc, M Smith
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 22, 2004
                                  Any of the Buffalo Drivestations and they auto-spin down when the
                                  attached USB power quiesces. This is switch-settable on the back of
                                  the Drivestation. These units are well-made, a bit pricey, but
                                  occasionally really good rebates (such as from Frys/Outpost.com) make
                                  them worth considering.

                                  On laptops with PC Card USB2 ports whenever I prepare the PC Card for
                                  removal, then the Drivestation unit goes into a standby mode. Comes
                                  back up when the USB port comes back live.

                                  ? Is there any way to get one of the slug ports to go into an
                                  "offline" state to allow external USB power management to take effect
                                  ?

                                  As with the Maxtor One-Touch, the Drivestations come with software to
                                  set a Winders-only standby timer. Hmm, ought to post on the KuroBox
                                  site to see if there is some prototype code to activate this standby
                                  mode from Linux.

                                  Slugs running the Linksys kernel, or unSLUng kernel, might have a
                                  problem as the slug seems to be touching the USB attached resources
                                  quite often which may prevent entering standby mode.

                                  Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
                                • Tim Lewis
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 22, 2004
                                    Michael Oberg wrote:
                                    > If you need a HD which spins down, buy a Maxtor OneTouch, there is a
                                    > (Windows only) untility to set the spin down due to activity setting
                                    > from anywhere from 5 minutes to something like 9 hours. I think mine
                                    > (default setting as I do not have a windows box) spins down at about
                                    > an hour of inactivity.

                                    Since I've been messing with these drives too much lately, I took a
                                    look at what the settings for spin down time are. In case anybody
                                    is actually interested, this is what I found out.

                                    The utility has the following options for spin down time:
                                    3 m, 5 m, 10 m, 15 m, 30 m, 1 h, 2 h, 3 h, 4 h, 5 h, and Never.

                                    The default setting in the utilty is "Never".

                                    The drive comes from the factory set to 1 hour.

                                    Like I said, "too much". :)

                                    - Tim