Re: [nslu2-general] Apache, Mysql, PHP Performance - General Question

  • Tim Bishop
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      I have a slug running unslung 5.5 with Apache, Mysql, PHP. I'm running
      Jinzora (MP3 jukebox), Wiki (erfurt wiki), Blog (flatfile), codetrack
      bug tracking, Tasks Jr. (task management). This is all running off a
      hard disk. I also have rsync running all the time.

      Performance is adequate for one person. Not fast -- load times,
      especially for Jinzora, can be long, but adequate.

      It is stable except for one nasty bug (195) with the Apache PHP module,
      where some system calls, like Mail(), can hang Apache. Other than that,
      no stability problems.

      I do have some concerns about the long term viability of the platform,
      given that unslung doesn't currently have a maintainer.

      One person's experience -- take with a grain of salt.

      Thanks,
      Tim

      longnamesarebest wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > I'm thinking about buying a NSLU2 (and using a 1GB flash drive) purely
      > to serve my personal SQL and web server needs.
      >
      > Can someone give me their experience in using an NSLU2 for the above
      > purposes? What sort of performance are you getting, how does it cope
      > with mysql databases etc? Is the platform stable?
      >
      > I don't have huge databases or websites and I don't expect it to be
      > able to serve a lot of concurrent users obviously but I am interested
      > in what peoples opinions are (other than "it's great!!!")
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your input!
      >
      > Gordon
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Stewart Midwinter
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
        Gordon:

        I recently set up an NSLU2 to do exactly what you describe. My
        experience was unsatisfactory, and I gave up within a week.

        I run a website with a mySql database, PHP. But also three python
        web applications running against the same database. I've been running
        a Pentium3 1GHz machine with Mandriva Linux for a couple of years,
        with rarely any problem. But I was intrigued with the possibility of
        downsizing to the NSLU2.

        I was able to transfer all my content off the PC to the Slug (I used
        a 40 GB notebook drive), and get everything set up. And then I began
        testing.

        I soon found the slug locking up. Within the period of a couple of
        days, I'd had to pull the plug on the slug many times, as it would no
        longer respond to any commands issued through the ssh connection. I
        switched from Apache to Cherokee next, and found the situation
        marginally better (remember to put Cherokee's documents only in the
        default location as I couldn't get it to recognize any other). When
        the unit became unresponsive, any command issued through ssh would
        result in 'bus error'. Pressing the reset button would accomplish
        nothing. So I'd unplug, re-boot, and then find that the system
        wouldn't recognize the hard drive. So I'd power down again, take the
        unit and plug it into the PC and run e2fsck on it, then plug it back
        into the NSLU2 and go again.

        But since I have some members of the public coming to my site, I
        can't afford to have my unit go dead numerous times per day. So
        eventually I gave up and went pack to the PC. Apart from the
        nuisance of the continual reboots, if I have to keep the P3 around to
        run e2fsck on the slug's drive all the time, then what have I
        gained? Also, I found the performance to be slow with the dynamic
        content. The NSLU2 takes quite a while to serve up web pages with
        PHP in them, especially if they involve database content. We're
        talking 15-30 seconds for a complete load. That's not acceptable for
        my purposes.

        I also tried using a 1 GB flash as the boot drive, but there are
        complications because slot 1, the only one you can boot off, will not
        accept a FAT-formatted drive, so I had to format the USB key to ext3.

        It could be that your needs are more modest, and you can live with a
        slow server. If you do go this route, for sure consider using
        Cherokee instead of apache. But ensure you find the user on this
        list (name of Winter) that has compiled a version of PHP with
        fastcgi, as it's needed for Cherokee. At the very least, it won't
        cost you a lot of cash to experiment, as the Slug is quite cheap.
        Mine is now doing duty as a backup server for my webserver PC.

        good luck!