RE: [nslu2-general] OpenMosix on a slug?

  • Inge Bjørnvall Arnesen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hey Mike,

      I'm all for the "because we can"-attitude to certain things. The competition
      when including your requirements is probably restricted to Mac Mini and
      mini-ITX motherboards, anyway. XBOX makes noise but is at least 3-4 times
      faster than the slug (and by now it must be very, very cheap) - you will of
      course keep paying through your electric bill.

      Anyhow - openMosix is not ported to xscale yet, but it is a patch-set to
      2.4.26, which is luckily the same kernel as used by Unslung. You will have
      to port openMosix (I have no clue how much work that is, but I guess it
      would be doable) and you will have to check for conflicts between the slug
      patches for 2.4.26 and the ported openMosix-patches.

      There are also test versions of openMosix to 2.6 kernels, but I don't know
      how mature it is. It is a candidate for merging with the OpenSlug kernel,
      but I think the good old 2.4.26 is the way to go (mainly due to its
      stability) and if that works, transfer the port to 2.6.

      Wanna do this?

      best,

      -- Inge

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
        Inge-

        Do I want to? Heck yes! But, alas... the required skill set eludes me, so
        I'll just have to imagine a slugfarm calculting new digits of PI and making
        contact with the people in outer space...FOR NOW!

        Thanks,
        Mike