Apache, Mysql, PHP Performance - General Question

  • longnamesarebest
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      Hi

      I'm thinking about buying a NSLU2 (and using a 1GB flash drive) purely
      to serve my personal SQL and web server needs.

      Can someone give me their experience in using an NSLU2 for the above
      purposes? What sort of performance are you getting, how does it cope
      with mysql databases etc? Is the platform stable?

      I don't have huge databases or websites and I don't expect it to be
      able to serve a lot of concurrent users obviously but I am interested
      in what peoples opinions are (other than "it's great!!!")

      Thanks in advance for your input!

      Gordon
    • Tim Bishop
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        I have a slug running unslung 5.5 with Apache, Mysql, PHP. I'm running
        Jinzora (MP3 jukebox), Wiki (erfurt wiki), Blog (flatfile), codetrack
        bug tracking, Tasks Jr. (task management). This is all running off a
        hard disk. I also have rsync running all the time.

        Performance is adequate for one person. Not fast -- load times,
        especially for Jinzora, can be long, but adequate.

        It is stable except for one nasty bug (195) with the Apache PHP module,
        where some system calls, like Mail(), can hang Apache. Other than that,
        no stability problems.

        I do have some concerns about the long term viability of the platform,
        given that unslung doesn't currently have a maintainer.

        One person's experience -- take with a grain of salt.

        Thanks,
        Tim

        longnamesarebest wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I'm thinking about buying a NSLU2 (and using a 1GB flash drive) purely
        > to serve my personal SQL and web server needs.
        >
        > Can someone give me their experience in using an NSLU2 for the above
        > purposes? What sort of performance are you getting, how does it cope
        > with mysql databases etc? Is the platform stable?
        >
        > I don't have huge databases or websites and I don't expect it to be
        > able to serve a lot of concurrent users obviously but I am interested
        > in what peoples opinions are (other than "it's great!!!")
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your input!
        >
        > Gordon
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Stewart Midwinter
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
          Gordon:

          I recently set up an NSLU2 to do exactly what you describe. My
          experience was unsatisfactory, and I gave up within a week.

          I run a website with a mySql database, PHP. But also three python
          web applications running against the same database. I've been running
          a Pentium3 1GHz machine with Mandriva Linux for a couple of years,
          with rarely any problem. But I was intrigued with the possibility of
          downsizing to the NSLU2.

          I was able to transfer all my content off the PC to the Slug (I used
          a 40 GB notebook drive), and get everything set up. And then I began
          testing.

          I soon found the slug locking up. Within the period of a couple of
          days, I'd had to pull the plug on the slug many times, as it would no
          longer respond to any commands issued through the ssh connection. I
          switched from Apache to Cherokee next, and found the situation
          marginally better (remember to put Cherokee's documents only in the
          default location as I couldn't get it to recognize any other). When
          the unit became unresponsive, any command issued through ssh would
          result in 'bus error'. Pressing the reset button would accomplish
          nothing. So I'd unplug, re-boot, and then find that the system
          wouldn't recognize the hard drive. So I'd power down again, take the
          unit and plug it into the PC and run e2fsck on it, then plug it back
          into the NSLU2 and go again.

          But since I have some members of the public coming to my site, I
          can't afford to have my unit go dead numerous times per day. So
          eventually I gave up and went pack to the PC. Apart from the
          nuisance of the continual reboots, if I have to keep the P3 around to
          run e2fsck on the slug's drive all the time, then what have I
          gained? Also, I found the performance to be slow with the dynamic
          content. The NSLU2 takes quite a while to serve up web pages with
          PHP in them, especially if they involve database content. We're
          talking 15-30 seconds for a complete load. That's not acceptable for
          my purposes.

          I also tried using a 1 GB flash as the boot drive, but there are
          complications because slot 1, the only one you can boot off, will not
          accept a FAT-formatted drive, so I had to format the USB key to ext3.

          It could be that your needs are more modest, and you can live with a
          slow server. If you do go this route, for sure consider using
          Cherokee instead of apache. But ensure you find the user on this
          list (name of Winter) that has compiled a version of PHP with
          fastcgi, as it's needed for Cherokee. At the very least, it won't
          cost you a lot of cash to experiment, as the Slug is quite cheap.
          Mine is now doing duty as a backup server for my webserver PC.

          good luck!