Re: Change MAC address of NLSU2

  • fransmeulenbroeks
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Jelle Berentsen <m4cloud@y...>
      wrote:

      > You already gave the answer I wanted to give to your question. I
      want to replace my existing server with the SLUG, but to get internet
      access I need to change the MAC address.

      Jelle, I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, but personally I
      would never recommend such a setup.
      I definitely would put a good router between your slug and the
      internet, if only for the built-in firewall and the provisions in it
      to deal with all kind of attacks (like smurf, tcp flood, syn flood etc)

      Of course if you plan to use your slug as a router or so you can do
      all of this on the slug. If you do, please write a wiki page on how
      you achieved all this and what you had to do to get things robust.

      If you are planning to run a server though (as you indicate in your
      message) I would recommend to use a router (if only for the additional
      security and as first line of defence. Using NAT (sometimes also
      called PAT or virtual server) you still can make your server visible
      to the outside world.

      Frans.
    • zhyla
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
        <fransmeulenbroeks@y...> wrote:
        > Jelle, I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, but personally I
        > would never recommend such a setup.
        > I definitely would put a good router between your slug and the
        > internet, if only for the built-in firewall and the provisions in it
        > to deal with all kind of attacks (like smurf, tcp flood, syn flood etc)

        Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
        near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
        described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
        long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
        things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

        Zhyla
      • fransmeulenbroeks
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

          > Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
          > near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
          > described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
          > long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
          > things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

          Zhyla, I understand exactly what you say.
          Basically I would suggest to have a hw router as a first line of
          defence. How good it is depends of course on the router sw.
          Also when you want to config your nslu as router you need to add
          additional network ports (e.g. a usb ethernet adapter, or a wifi
          adapter if you want to go wireless). Still configuring the nslu for
          that is not straightforward, and you need to know exactly what you are
          doing in order to get it configured right.

          Probably it is better to get the linux router from linksys (forgot the
          type) and use that one, if you want router functionality.

          The original poster wanted to use his slug as a server and needed to
          change the MAC address because his ISP apparently tied his
          subscription to a specific MAC address.

          My comments were triggered by this. If, apart from the server, he
          wants to use the internet connection, he also requires routing
          functionality.

          Then again, I didn't know that such ISP's still exist. I think that in
          NL even chello/upc ceased doing this (as it does not allow people to
          connect e.g. an Xbox)

          Anyway, when it comes to protection I still feel 2 is better than 1.

          Best regards, Frans.
        • Tim Ansell
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
            Have you tried the following command?

            ifconfig eth0 hw ether <address>

            Mithro

            On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 12:51 +0000, m4cloud wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
            > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.
            >
            > -- Mac
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Gary Kaufman
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
              It looks like there's a command in Redboot that's
              designed to change the mac address (at least in the
              serial console). I haven't tried it, but it might be
              worth a look....

              - Gary

              http://mail.yahoo.com