Re: Unslung seemed successful but... ipkg: No such file or directory.

  • lgngri
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2005
      This is correct: first time I used the arslinux web site. After
      reflashing I used the README included into Unslung distribution. I
      found them fairly similar but second time around I tried not to take
      any chances. All the help I can get on this subject is greatly
      appreciated!

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Westerhof"
      <mwester@d...> wrote:

      > You're definitely on the flash filesystem.
      >
      > Can you clarify exactly which README you're using? In an earlier
      post you referenced a URL to (I think, I'm doing this from
      memory) "arslinux" -- that URL is for the 4.x version of Unslung and
      it almost certainly won't work for the 5.5 version.
      No such file or directory.

      > I tried to reflash the slug afresh with the same 5.5 firmware.
      Once
      > done, I proceeded with README file rebooting exactly when
      needed.
      > After instlaling the firmware I reformatted the USB flash drive
      > completely in Disk1 port and ensured it is recognized by the
      slug.
      > Unslinging again went without a hitch. But... no dice this time
      > either.
      >
      > # ipkg update
      > ipkg: No such file or directory
      >
      > df command output seems to indicate that rootfs is currently on
      > flash (is it?):
      > # df
      > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted
      on
      > rootfs 6528 5324 1204 82% /
      > /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5324 1204 82% /
      > /dev/sda1 298727 18279 277364
      > 6% /share/hdd/data
      > /dev/sda2 123923 4142 118502
      > 3% /share/hdd/conf
      >
      > I tried to search for ipkg to see why it is not accessible:
      > # find / -name ipkg
      > /etc/ipkg
      > /usr/lib/ipkg
      > /usr/lib/ipkg/alternatives/ipkg
      > find: /proc/9/fd: No such file or directory
      > /share/hdd/data/etc/ipkg
      > /share/hdd/data/usr/bin/ipkg
      > /share/hdd/data/usr/lib/ipkg
      > /share/hdd/data/usr/lib/ipkg/alternatives/ipkg
      >
      > I am not sure where do I go from there. Any help is greatly
      > appreciated!

      development Computer internet business
      > Computer internet access Computer internet privacy
      securities Computer internet help

      of Service.

    • jbgluttmer
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hello,

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lgngri" <lgngri@y...> wrote:

        > I tried to reflash the slug afresh with the same 5.5 firmware. Once
        > done, I proceeded with README file rebooting exactly when needed.
        > After instlaling the firmware I reformatted the USB flash drive
        > completely in Disk1 port and ensured it is recognized by the slug.
        > Unslinging again went without a hitch. But... no dice this time
        > either.

        This happens on my slug, too. I found this on the web page:

        ---> snipp <---

        How to correct the problem with Ready/Status LED where it won´t turn green and allow
        communication after upgrading with BETA 5.5
        1 Boot NSLU2 without HD attached
        2 Telnet in with root/uNSLUng
        3 rm /.sd#1root <- # being a if you were unslung to disk 1 and b if you were
        unslung to disk 2 (disk 1 means /dev/sda1, storage media on port 1, disk 2 means /dev/
        sdb1, storage media on port 2)
        4 Reboot NSLU2 - again without HD attached
        5 Telnet in with root/uNSLUng
        6 Plug in the USB disk
        7 Re-format via web interface, if needed. If not formatting, then just /sbin/
        unsling disk#. If formatted, wait until formatting is completed, then /sbin/unsling disk# in
        telnet session
        8 Reboot with drive attached
        This should get you back to a booting NSLU2 with rootfs on the HD.

        ---< snapp >----

        In my case I have to do this every time when I cold start my slug. Ofcourse I do not format
        the drive every time ;-)

        Maybe it is the same with yours.

        Regards,

        /JoLu
      • pmankuzh
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
          I'm sure you have verified this step; but, have you rebooted the
          slug after unslinging. If you try to access ipkg without rebooting,
          you will get the same message since the slug is till running off
          flash.

          Regards.

        • berras15
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 16, 2006

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 17, 2006
              Just a quick scan through this email -

              a) The slug in question is booting from the internal flash, not the external USB device. That must be fixed in order to fix the ipkg problem. If you link the ipkg executable as suggest below, you will just fill up the internal flash.

              b) I see that you followed the arslinux instructions; those instructions are for unslung 4.x -- it's very likely that following those instructions for unslung 5.5 will get you into trouble. I would recommend that you start anew by reflashing the slug with the 5.5 firmware, and follow the install instructions for 5.5 instead!

              Mike (mwester)

            • kdavis11_2
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 20, 2006
                I appear to have a similar problem. Attempted to unsling to 512 meg
                usb stick.(PNY Attache) Process appears to have gone fine, but it
                appears root is still on internal flash-

                #
                # df
                Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                rootfs 6528 5320 1208 81% /
                /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5320 1208 81% /
                /dev/sda1 298727 18270 277373 6% /share/hdd/data
                /dev/sda2 123923 4145 118499 3% /share/hdd/conf

                # cat /proc/mounts
                rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
                /dev/root / jffs2 rw 0 0
                /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
                usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
                /dev/sda1 /share/hdd/data ext3 rw 0 0
                /dev/sda2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 rw,sync 0 0

                I followed instructions in the 5.5-beta readme, in fact I have a
                working 10 gig drive in an external drive enclosure, no problem with
                rootfs. My goal was to silence my slug.

                Any ideas?

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:

> [...]
                mailing
                > > list.
                > > > (23:56:36) caplink811_log: [root@linus rc.d]$ which ipkg
                > > > (23:56:36) caplink811_log: /usr/bin/ipkg
                > > > (23:56:40) jelle: thanks.
                > > > (23:56:44) caplink811_log: no problem
                > > > (23:57:29) caplink811_log: which is a link to /usr/sbin/ipkg-cl
                > > > (23:57:39) caplink811_log: lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Jun 13
                12:52
                > > ipkg ->
                > > > /usr/bin/ipkg-cl
                > > > (23:57:39) caplink811_log: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3372 Jan
                1 1970
                > > ipkg-cl
                > > > (23:58:06) caplink811_log: if it isn't there, than something
                went
                > > wrong with
                > > > /sbin/unsling
                > > > (23:59:20) caplink811_log: normally ln -s /usr/bin/ipkg-

                3% /share/hdd/conf

                > > > # mount
                > > > /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
                > > > /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                > > > usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
                > > > /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (rw)
                > > > /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
                > > >
                > > > Again, I am totally new to Linux world, so please spare the
                harsh
                > > remarks.
                > > >

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > > >I had the same problem mentioned here. Where it said no such
                file or
                > > directory when trying to use ipkg. This line from the chatroom
                > > session mentioned above fixed it for me and now i'm up and
                running.
                > > Thanks!
                > >
                > > ln -s /usr/bin/ipkg-cl /usr/bin/ipkg

              • Mike Westerhof
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 23, 2006
                  Did you reflash your slug before you unslung to the new 512MB USB device?

                  The "unsling" command is a one-time-use-only utility.

                  Once you "unsling" to a device, flags are written to the slug's internal
                  flash disk to note that it will finish the boot from the external device. A
                  side-effect of this flag is that subsequent attempt to use the "unsling"
                  command will create a partially-written device that cannot be booted.

                  You can either remove the flags and reboot (search the mail list for
                  specifics) or just re-flash the slug with unslung again -- either way will
                  result in a slug that can be "unslung" again.

                  Mike (mwester)

                  > I appear to have a similar problem. Attempted to unsling to 512 meg
                  > usb stick.(PNY Attache) Process appears to have gone fine, but it
                  > appears root is still on internal flash-
                  >
                  > # mount
                  > /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
                  > /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
                  > usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
                  > /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (rw)
                  > /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
                  > #
                  > # df
                  > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                  > rootfs 6528 5320 1208 81% /
                  > /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5320 1208 81% /
                  > /dev/sda1 298727 18270 277373 6% /share/hdd/data
                  > /dev/sda2 123923 4145 118499 3% /share/hdd/conf
                  >
                  > # cat /proc/mounts
                  > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
                  > /dev/root / jffs2 rw 0 0
                  > /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
                  > usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
                  > /dev/sda1 /share/hdd/data ext3 rw 0 0
                  > /dev/sda2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 rw,sync 0 0
                  >
                  > I followed instructions in the 5.5-beta readme, in fact I have a
                  > working 10 gig drive in an external drive enclosure, no problem with
                  > rootfs. My goal was to silence my slug.
                  >
                  > Any ideas?
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, <mwester@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Just a quick scan through this email -
                  > >
                  > > a) The slug in question is booting from the internal flash, not
                  > the external USB device. That must be fixed in order to fix the
                  > ipkg problem. If you link the ipkg executable as suggest below, you
                  > will just fill up the internal flash.
                  > >
                  > > b) I see that you followed the arslinux instructions; those
                  > instructions are for unslung 4.x -- it's very likely that following
                  > those instructions for unslung 5.5 will get you into trouble. I
                  > would recommend that you start anew by reflashing the slug with the
                  > 5.5 firmware, and follow the install instructions for 5.5 instead!
                  > >
                  > > Mike (mwester)
                  > >
                  > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Jelle Alten" <jpalten@>

                  > > > memory, which
                  > fix it...
                  > reflash the
                  > > > internal
                  > properly

                  > (type "ls -al
                  > commandline)

                  > 1970
                  > > > ipkg-cl" )

                  > help, if you

                  > mailing
                  > > > list.
                  > 12:52
                  > > > ipkg ->
                  > 1 1970
                  > > > ipkg-cl
                  > went
                  > > > wrong with
                  > cl /usr/bin/ipkg

                  Service.

                  ------

                • Ludo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 25, 2006
                    Hi,

                    Just:
                    telnet into the device,

                    rm /.unslung
                    rm /.sd??root
                    reboot

                    where the ? can be a number. You'll see.

                    Good luck,

                    Ludo