Re: [nslu2-general] chattr

  • Inge B. Arnesen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
      As ipkgfind can tell you, it is not. It is in e2fsprogs however, which I'm
      planning to revise to include tune2fs (one of my disks was formatted
      elsewhere and has a 5% root reserved part I want to get rid of). Maybe I
      should include chattr as well? Any prime selling points for it?

      best,

      -- Inge

    • pepesz76 @ o2
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hello Inge,

        > As ipkgfind can tell you, it is not. It is in e2fsprogs however, which I'm
        > planning to revise to include tune2fs (one of my disks was formatted
        > elsewhere and has a 5% root reserved part I want to get rid of). Maybe I
        > should include chattr as well? Any prime selling points for it?

        Well, I mostly works as root (I know that it is not the best practice
        but since I'm the only one who has an access to console I feel quite
        safe) and I want to be able to protect some of the files from
        accidental delete. Using chattr you can specify quite a lot 'extra'
        attributes like: append only (a), compressed (c), no dump (d),
        immutable (i), data journalling (j), secure deletion (s), no
        tail-merging (t), undeletable (u), no atime updates (A), synchronous
        directory updates (D), synchronous updates (S), and top of directory
        hierarchy (T) (see http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/chattr.1.html
        or http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/make-your-files-immutable-which-even.html)

        If you will include chattr please include lsattr as well.

        --
        Best regards,
        pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
          > Well, I mostly works as root (I know that it is not the best practice
          > but since I'm the only one who has an access to console I feel quite
          > safe)

          That's perfectly normal and nothing to be ashamed of. Even my uncle does
          it and contrary to rumours it will not make you go blind.

          > If you will include chattr please include lsattr as well.

          Will do.

          -- Inge