Re: [nslu2-general] chattr

  • pepesz76 @ o2
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
      Sorry,

      I forgot to mention that I'm using unslung v5.5

      --
      Best regards,
      pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        As ipkgfind can tell you, it is not. It is in e2fsprogs however, which I'm
        planning to revise to include tune2fs (one of my disks was formatted
        elsewhere and has a 5% root reserved part I want to get rid of). Maybe I
        should include chattr as well? Any prime selling points for it?

        best,

        -- Inge

      • pepesz76 @ o2
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
          Hello Inge,

          > As ipkgfind can tell you, it is not. It is in e2fsprogs however, which I'm
          > planning to revise to include tune2fs (one of my disks was formatted
          > elsewhere and has a 5% root reserved part I want to get rid of). Maybe I
          > should include chattr as well? Any prime selling points for it?

          Well, I mostly works as root (I know that it is not the best practice
          but since I'm the only one who has an access to console I feel quite
          safe) and I want to be able to protect some of the files from
          accidental delete. Using chattr you can specify quite a lot 'extra'
          attributes like: append only (a), compressed (c), no dump (d),
          immutable (i), data journalling (j), secure deletion (s), no
          tail-merging (t), undeletable (u), no atime updates (A), synchronous
          directory updates (D), synchronous updates (S), and top of directory
          hierarchy (T) (see http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/chattr.1.html
          or http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/make-your-files-immutable-which-even.html)

          If you will include chattr please include lsattr as well.

          --
          Best regards,
          pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
            > Well, I mostly works as root (I know that it is not the best practice
            > but since I'm the only one who has an access to console I feel quite
            > safe)

            That's perfectly normal and nothing to be ashamed of. Even my uncle does
            it and contrary to rumours it will not make you go blind.

            > If you will include chattr please include lsattr as well.

            Will do.

            -- Inge