Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Change MAC address of NLSU2

  • Jelle Berentsen
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
      You already gave the answer I wanted to give to your question. I want to replace my existing server with the SLUG, but to get internet access I need to change the MAC address.

      fransmeulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks@...> wrote: --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "m4cloud" <m4cloud@y...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
      > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.

      Why on earth would you want this?
      MAC addresses are unique by nature.
      If you have a reason to do this, I'd really love to know, as I have
      never ever encountered a reason to change a MAC address on an NSLU2.

      (actually the only reason I know is if you have an ISP that will only
      serve a dedicated MAC address).

      FM

      Computer internet security Firmware development Computer internet business Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

    • fransmeulenbroeks
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Jelle Berentsen <m4cloud@y...>
        wrote:

        > You already gave the answer I wanted to give to your question. I
        want to replace my existing server with the SLUG, but to get internet
        access I need to change the MAC address.

        Jelle, I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, but personally I
        would never recommend such a setup.
        I definitely would put a good router between your slug and the
        internet, if only for the built-in firewall and the provisions in it
        to deal with all kind of attacks (like smurf, tcp flood, syn flood etc)

        Of course if you plan to use your slug as a router or so you can do
        all of this on the slug. If you do, please write a wiki page on how
        you achieved all this and what you had to do to get things robust.

        If you are planning to run a server though (as you indicate in your
        message) I would recommend to use a router (if only for the additional
        security and as first line of defence. Using NAT (sometimes also
        called PAT or virtual server) you still can make your server visible
        to the outside world.

        Frans.
      • zhyla
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
          <fransmeulenbroeks@y...> wrote:
          > Jelle, I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, but personally I
          > would never recommend such a setup.
          > I definitely would put a good router between your slug and the
          > internet, if only for the built-in firewall and the provisions in it
          > to deal with all kind of attacks (like smurf, tcp flood, syn flood etc)

          Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
          near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
          described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
          long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
          things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

          Zhyla
        • fransmeulenbroeks
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

            > Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
            > near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
            > described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
            > long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
            > things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

            Zhyla, I understand exactly what you say.
            Basically I would suggest to have a hw router as a first line of
            defence. How good it is depends of course on the router sw.
            Also when you want to config your nslu as router you need to add
            additional network ports (e.g. a usb ethernet adapter, or a wifi
            adapter if you want to go wireless). Still configuring the nslu for
            that is not straightforward, and you need to know exactly what you are
            doing in order to get it configured right.

            Probably it is better to get the linux router from linksys (forgot the
            type) and use that one, if you want router functionality.

            The original poster wanted to use his slug as a server and needed to
            change the MAC address because his ISP apparently tied his
            subscription to a specific MAC address.

            My comments were triggered by this. If, apart from the server, he
            wants to use the internet connection, he also requires routing
            functionality.

            Then again, I didn't know that such ISP's still exist. I think that in
            NL even chello/upc ceased doing this (as it does not allow people to
            connect e.g. an Xbox)

            Anyway, when it comes to protection I still feel 2 is better than 1.

            Best regards, Frans.
          • Tim Ansell
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
              Have you tried the following command?

              ifconfig eth0 hw ether <address>

              Mithro

              On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 12:51 +0000, m4cloud wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
              > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.
              >
              > -- Mac
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Gary Kaufman
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
                It looks like there's a command in Redboot that's
                designed to change the mac address (at least in the
                serial console). I haven't tried it, but it might be
                worth a look....

                - Gary

                http://mail.yahoo.com