AW: [nslu2-general] External Harddisk enclosure w/ RAID 5 ?

  • Torsten Bitz
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005

      > > At least it is
      > > the most cost-efficient solution with Raid5 that I could
      > find (apart
      > > from building a low-end Raid-PC just for that purpose).
      >
      > What about using 3 USB-discs, an USB-Hub and doing
      > Software-RAID? I think I read that this is possible with openslug.
      >
      > -- Jochen

      If it is possible, then I can imagine that it will be a great pain to use. I
      had a setup with an unslung Slug and two disks in a Software Raid1
      configuration, this worked, but the time it took to rebuild the array in
      case of a failure was just too much.
      And in the case of Software-Raid5, there is additional load on the processor
      (parity calculations, XOR), so I guess the little Slug would just go down
      performancewise. Add the performance penalty when using two of the three
      drives on a hub to imagine that it just doesn't make much sense.
      If anybody has tried such a setup, I'd be glad to hear about it anyway of
      course.

      Cheers, T.