No access..

  • bushtor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005

      I'm scratiching my head on this one. I haven't used my NSLU2 for a
      year and when I connected it this morning I could not get a reply from
      it. The boot process seemed ok as of the LED light/color sequence,
      but the Linksys setup utility does not find it and I have reset it and
      trying to connect to 192.168.1.77 but to no avail.

      I downloaded the latest Linksys firmware, fired up SerComm (which
      found the device immediately on the 192.168.1 subnet. I was able to
      successfully flash and verify the device, but I still cannot get in
      touch with it, neither by the setup utility nor by addressing my web
      browser til 192.168.1.77.

      I assume the any preset IP address / config is reset when having held
      the reset button down for at least 10 seconds...?

      Any clues on what to do in order to get this device up and running...?

      Thanks a lot for any tips

      regards

      Tor
    • zhyla
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
        Sounds like you've got it going to a different address. Did you add a
        DHCP server to your network? It's probably just getting assigned some
        other address. You can use a broadcast ping to find it, like so:

        [root@lucy root]# ping -b 192.168.1.255
        WARNING: pinging broadcast address
        64 bytes from 192.168.1.106: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.454 ms (DUP!)
        64 bytes from 192.168.1.106: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.312 ms (DUP!)

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bushtor" <bushtor@y...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm scratiching my head on this one. I haven't used my NSLU2 for a
        > year and when I connected it this morning I could not get a reply from
        > it. The boot process seemed ok as of the LED light/color sequence,
        > but the Linksys setup utility does not find it and I have reset it and
        > trying to connect to 192.168.1.77 but to no avail.
        >
        > I downloaded the latest Linksys firmware, fired up SerComm (which
        > found the device immediately on the 192.168.1 subnet. I was able to
        > successfully flash and verify the device, but I still cannot get in
        > touch with it, neither by the setup utility nor by addressing my web
        > browser til 192.168.1.77.
        >
        > I assume the any preset IP address / config is reset when having held
        > the reset button down for at least 10 seconds...?
        >
        > Any clues on what to do in order to get this device up and running...?
        >
        > Thanks a lot for any tips
        >
        > regards
        >
        > Tor

      • bushtor
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

          > Sounds like you've got it going to a different address. Did you add a
          > DHCP server to your network?

          Hi,
          I have the NSLU2 connected directly to the computer via a crossed
          ethernet cable. There is no DHCP stuff and the computer has the
          static IP 192.168.1.100 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway the same
          as the IP address.

          -b is not recognized as a valid parameter in WinXP so I could not do
          that test.

          Can I be sure that the NSLU2's IP address has been reset to the
          default 192.168.1.77 after having held the reset button pushed for at
          least 10 secs when the unit is powered on?

          regards

          Tor
        • Urban J. Cubbage
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
            Do a ping -r 4 192.168.1.77 and see what you get back.

            > Sounds like you've got it going to a different address. Did you add a
            > DHCP server to your network?

            Hi,
            I have the NSLU2 connected directly to the computer via a crossed
            ethernet cable. There is no DHCP stuff and the computer has the
            static IP 192.168.1.100 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway the same
            as the IP address.

            -b is not recognized as a valid parameter in WinXP so I could not do
            that test.

            Can I be sure that the NSLU2's IP address has been reset to the
            default 192.168.1.77 after having held the reset button pushed for at
            least 10 secs when the unit is powered on?

            regards

            Tor

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • zhyla
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 29, 2005
              > -b is not recognized as a valid parameter in WinXP so I could not do
              > that test.

              For you guys stuck on Windows you might want to download Knoppix and
              burn it onto a CD. It's a "live" CD, you boot from it and it runs
              linux without installing on your hard drive (reboot and it's gone).
              So you'll be able to use some of the standard utilities to debug.

              It looks like both the windows ping and the cygwin version do not
              support broadcast pings. Which is probably a good thing :).

              Zhyla
            • bushtor
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban J. Cubbage"
                <cubbage@p...> wrote:

                > Do a ping -r 4 192.168.1.77 and see what you get back.

                No response, unfortunately...

                Tor
              • bushtor
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

                  > For you guys stuck on Windows you might want to download Knoppix and
                  > burn it onto a CD. It's a "live" CD, you boot from it and it runs
                  > linux without installing on your hard drive (reboot and it's gone).
                  > So you'll be able to use some of the standard utilities to debug.
                  >
                  > It looks like both the windows ping and the cygwin version do not
                  > support broadcast pings. Which is probably a good thing :).

                  Hi and thanks for the hint. Could you be a bit more specific on what
                  to do under ..x. Just try the ping -b stuff?

                  However I think it might need more than that, remember that the NSLU
                  setup utility cannot connect to the box. Any other twist and curse I
                  should try to get in touch with this beast...?

                  Tor
                • zhyla
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
                    > Hi and thanks for the hint. Could you be a bit more specific on what
                    > to do under ..x. Just try the ping -b stuff?

                    Yeah.

                    > However I think it might need more than that, remember that the NSLU
                    > setup utility cannot connect to the box. Any other twist and curse I
                    > should try to get in touch with this beast...?

                    Might try a crossover cable. I had a problem that turned out to be a
                    bad port on my hub, it came in handy there. If you don't have one
                    lying around you can get them pretty cheap.