Change MAC address of NLSU2

  • m4cloud
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2005

      Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
      Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.

      -- Mac
    • fransmeulenbroeks
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 30, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "m4cloud" <m4cloud@y...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
        > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.

        Why on earth would you want this?
        MAC addresses are unique by nature.
        If you have a reason to do this, I'd really love to know, as I have
        never ever encountered a reason to change a MAC address on an NSLU2.

        (actually the only reason I know is if you have an ISP that will only
        serve a dedicated MAC address).

        FM
      • gerhard_uttenthaler
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 30, 2005
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "fransmeulenbroeks"
          <fransmeulenbroeks@y...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "m4cloud" <m4cloud@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
          > > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.
          >
          > Why on earth would you want this?
          > MAC addresses are unique by nature.
          That's why some license keys depend on them...
          I.E. Lattice ispTools Starter kit.

          Gerhard
        • Jelle Berentsen
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2005
            You already gave the answer I wanted to give to your question. I want to replace my existing server with the SLUG, but to get internet access I need to change the MAC address.

            fransmeulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks@...> wrote: --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "m4cloud" <m4cloud@y...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
            > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.

            Why on earth would you want this?
            MAC addresses are unique by nature.
            If you have a reason to do this, I'd really love to know, as I have
            never ever encountered a reason to change a MAC address on an NSLU2.

            (actually the only reason I know is if you have an ISP that will only
            serve a dedicated MAC address).

            FM

            Computer internet security Firmware development Computer internet business Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

          • fransmeulenbroeks
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Jelle Berentsen <m4cloud@y...>
              wrote:

              > You already gave the answer I wanted to give to your question. I
              want to replace my existing server with the SLUG, but to get internet
              access I need to change the MAC address.

              Jelle, I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, but personally I
              would never recommend such a setup.
              I definitely would put a good router between your slug and the
              internet, if only for the built-in firewall and the provisions in it
              to deal with all kind of attacks (like smurf, tcp flood, syn flood etc)

              Of course if you plan to use your slug as a router or so you can do
              all of this on the slug. If you do, please write a wiki page on how
              you achieved all this and what you had to do to get things robust.

              If you are planning to run a server though (as you indicate in your
              message) I would recommend to use a router (if only for the additional
              security and as first line of defence. Using NAT (sometimes also
              called PAT or virtual server) you still can make your server visible
              to the outside world.

              Frans.
            • zhyla
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
                <fransmeulenbroeks@y...> wrote:
                > Jelle, I don't know exactly what you want to achieve, but personally I
                > would never recommend such a setup.
                > I definitely would put a good router between your slug and the
                > internet, if only for the built-in firewall and the provisions in it
                > to deal with all kind of attacks (like smurf, tcp flood, syn flood etc)

                Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
                near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
                described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
                long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
                things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

                Zhyla
              • fransmeulenbroeks
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

                  > Frans, I would tend to disagree here. Hardware routers don't give you
                  > near as much control over firewalling and from what a friend has
                  > described some brands let all kinds of crap into your network. As
                  > long as he does a good job setting up the firewall and locking other
                  > things down this should be a fine way to get around his ISP's nuttiness.

                  Zhyla, I understand exactly what you say.
                  Basically I would suggest to have a hw router as a first line of
                  defence. How good it is depends of course on the router sw.
                  Also when you want to config your nslu as router you need to add
                  additional network ports (e.g. a usb ethernet adapter, or a wifi
                  adapter if you want to go wireless). Still configuring the nslu for
                  that is not straightforward, and you need to know exactly what you are
                  doing in order to get it configured right.

                  Probably it is better to get the linux router from linksys (forgot the
                  type) and use that one, if you want router functionality.

                  The original poster wanted to use his slug as a server and needed to
                  change the MAC address because his ISP apparently tied his
                  subscription to a specific MAC address.

                  My comments were triggered by this. If, apart from the server, he
                  wants to use the internet connection, he also requires routing
                  functionality.

                  Then again, I didn't know that such ISP's still exist. I think that in
                  NL even chello/upc ceased doing this (as it does not allow people to
                  connect e.g. an Xbox)

                  Anyway, when it comes to protection I still feel 2 is better than 1.

                  Best regards, Frans.
                • Tim Ansell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
                    Have you tried the following command?

                    ifconfig eth0 hw ether <address>

                    Mithro

                    On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 12:51 +0000, m4cloud wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Is it possible to change the MAC address of the NSLU2? I'm using
                    > Unslung v5.5 on my NSLU2.
                    >
                    > -- Mac
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Gary Kaufman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 14, 2005
                      It looks like there's a command in Redboot that's
                      designed to change the mac address (at least in the
                      serial console). I haven't tried it, but it might be
                      worth a look....

                      - Gary

                      http://mail.yahoo.com