Re: nslu2 - remote file access?

  • Herman I. May
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2005
      Simon(?),

      What you propose is not easily accomplished with a stock slug. The web
      interface for the hardware is designed primarily for administrative
      configuration with subsequent access occurring by way of mounting the
      resulting SMB share(s). To maximize safety and accessibility, you will
      need to unsling the NSLU2 in order to install additional software
      allowing access outside of your subnet. (I would not recommend opening
      port 445 to those outside of your subnet.)

      One option, as James suggested, is to install a photo album package
      such as Gallery. In addition to images, this software can also support
      other media such as movie clips and the like. I am not sure about
      audio files, though...maybe?

      Another means of serving files to those outside of your subnet is to
      simplly install apache through the Optware feeds and configure it to
      allow for directory indexing. You can then share the URL for the
      particular directory containing the files you would like to share with
      others. Personally, I do not like permitting directory indexing as it
      allows visitors too much freedom within the published tree, unless
      .htaccess or apache configuration settings are used to restrict
      movement. Nevertheless, this is likely the quickest means to the end
      you appear to desire.

      Herman