Logger command for unslung?

  • bloedmann999
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2005
      poking around still in my slug trying to understand the complete boot
      process I find that I am missing a lot of stuff in the syslog. Firstly
      the time is usually wrong, messages has a date of Jan 1st 1970. I have
      ntpd running controlled by cron and after a boot the time is correct,
      so I assume somehow the system time is getting loaded later. Anyway I
      wanted to add some comments in some rc.d scripts, but I am missing a
      function like "Logger" which I am using on my Debian boxes. Is there
      any other way to get messages into the messages or server.log files on
      unslung V5.5?

      Cheers Brian
    • zhyla
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2005
        Hmmm... it looks like the busybox packages for unslung provide logger,
        but I'm not sure that helps you. You could cross compile a simple
        program that just calls printk for you maybe?

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999"
        <Brian_Dorling@t...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > poking around still in my slug trying to understand the complete boot
        > process I find that I am missing a lot of stuff in the syslog. Firstly
        > the time is usually wrong, messages has a date of Jan 1st 1970. I have
        > ntpd running controlled by cron and after a boot the time is correct,
        > so I assume somehow the system time is getting loaded later. Anyway I
        > wanted to add some comments in some rc.d scripts, but I am missing a
        > function like "Logger" which I am using on my Debian boxes. Is there
        > any other way to get messages into the messages or server.log files on
        > unslung V5.5?
        >
        > Cheers Brian

      • bloedmann999
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
          zhyla,
          I finally found some infos about Busybox. That does have a logger
          function, so I made a symbolic link called "logger" and pointed it at
          Busybox (that is the way many of the commands work), but that does not
          work.
          Pity.

          Cheers

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zhyla" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

          > Hmmm... it looks like the busybox packages for unslung provide logger,
          > but I'm not sure that helps you. You could cross compile a simple
          > program that just calls printk for you maybe?
          >
          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "bloedmann999"
          > <Brian_Dorling@t...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > poking around still in my slug trying to understand the complete boot
          > > process I find that I am missing a lot of stuff in the syslog. Firstly
          > > the time is usually wrong, messages has a date of Jan 1st 1970. I have
          > > ntpd running controlled by cron and after a boot the time is correct,
          > > so I assume somehow the system time is getting loaded later. Anyway I
          > > wanted to add some comments in some rc.d scripts, but I am missing a
          > > function like "Logger" which I am using on my Debian boxes. Is there
          > > any other way to get messages into the messages or server.log files on
          > > unslung V5.5?
          > >
          > > Cheers Brian

        • bloedmann999
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
            So I replaced the version of busybox on the slug with the newest one
            via ipkg, and logger works on that.

            Cheers Brian