USB-Serial on DebianSlug Problems

  • phatmonkey765
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2005
      I finally got Debian working, but I can't appear to get any USB-serial adaptors working. It
      happens with both adaptors I have.

      To put it simply, nothing shows up. The /dev/ttyUSB devices exist, but when I plug in the
      adaptor, this shows up in /var/log/messages:

      Dec 17 23:51:04 localhost kernel: usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
      address 6

      ... and nothing else. lsusb shows "Bus 002 Device 006: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc.
      PL2303 Serial Port" which appears to be normal enough.

      Is there some obscure kernel module I'm missing? I followed the instructions on the wiki!

      Thanks,

      Ben
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2005
        I have a PL2303 serial converter, and only last night I got it working
        on my Maxtor Shared Storage. Here's what was happening on mine:
        - There is an identical but incompatible chip called PL2303X - this is
        what my dongle was using. Round about 2.4.22 there was a change to
        pl2303.c which supports this chip. I'm not sure what kernel the slug
        uses, but my MSS kernel was 2.4.20, ie before this fix went in.

        You need to:
        - Get patch 1 (attached)
        - Apply it to your kernel sources
        - make modules
        - rmmod pl2303
        - insmod /path/to/updated/pl2303.o

        Also, I worked around a bug where my driver was getting stuck when
        told to write a zero-length buffer. This may or may not affect you,
        but if so the cheap fix is the 2nd attachment

        Good luck
        Andrew

      • Ben Firshman
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 20, 2005
          For some reason the modules never actually existed (are they meant to
          be there?), so I followed the second set of instructions on http://
          www.debonaras.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallModules and it's all working now!

          Thanks for the help!

          Ben