EraseAll

  • mehagobolas
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2005
      There is a Warning about not using EraseAll. I used it and it seems OK
      please can you elaborate on the dangers. How is SerComm different than
      EraseAll?
    • Philip Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2005
        On 18 Nov 2005, at 15:15, mehagobolas wrote:
        > There is a Warning about not using EraseAll. I used it and it seems OK
        > please can you elaborate on the dangers. How is SerComm different than
        > EraseAll?

        You might mean well, but you've offended me by not searching the
        wiki, email logs, or even google. Within a minute, I was able to
        collate the following without using bookmarks or any pre-saved links.
        There is no excuse for you not doing the same. For goodness sake, on
        the nslu2-linux.org homepage it says in a huge, bold, 24 point heading:

        In the worst case scenario, it can make your NSLU2 unbootable with no
        chance of recovery without using JTAG.

        A search on that very home page brings up additional pages on the
        matter, with a huge effing box:

        Do not under *any* circumstances use the Linksys "EraseAll" utility
        to reflash your NSLU2.

        In the worst case scenario, it may erase the bootloader and cause an
        unbootable slug. The only method of repair for the mentioned case
        would be JTAG, which requires extra hardware and knowledge that most
        users do not have.

        Hence, it is *not* worth the risk using this software until Linksys
        address this issue, so you should use the Sercomm utility.

        If you wish to post any more posts to this group without a horrible
        response like mine is, obey rule number one.
        1. You will search the wiki first here and read the FAQ before asking
        questions.

        Here are the links I found within a minute of searching on your lazy
        asses behalf:

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/EraseAll
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash
        http://tinyurl.com/c58nl
        http://www.google.com/search?
        client=safari&rls=en&q=EraseAll&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

        Sorry for the somewhat hostile email, but jeebus, come on, people
        contribute to make your life easier when they could be doing better
        things.
        Pay them respect. Obey rule number one.

        To answer your question if you still can't be bothered following the
        links I gave you, the reason you are advised NOT to use EraseAll is
        that it does a reflash of the entire flash area, which means its also
        reflashes the bootloader partition. If there is a power failure, or
        for some reason the reflash fails, you could be left (and generally
        you WILL be left) with a dead and non-functioning NSLU2, requiring
        hardware modifications to fix it.

        Regards,
        ----
        Philip Johnson (PlasticMonkey) <plasticmonkey@...>
        Office Tel: +44 (0)20 7870 2206 Skype Me: plasticmonkey
        IRC.freenode.net: philipjohnson Jabber/GTalk:
        plasticmonkey@...
        http://www.phillybob.co.uk http://
        www.pixelgeek.co.uk
        ----
        GPG fingerprint = 3EC6 C5B6 FCF1 1FB5 C071 FF64 E7A3 1E3A 3A8F 766B
        ----