Network interface in promiscuous mode -- no luck

  • Bob George
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15, 2005
      I recently toted along my NSLU2 to use during network testing -- a great
      alternative to a second laptop. It generally worked well, but I had no
      luck using it as a network sniffer. I configured the interface in
      promiscuous mode, and ran tcpdump while connected to a switch with the
      port configured as a monitor (aka span) port capturing traffic to the
      outbound router.

      With the NSLU2, I only captured unicast and multicast traffic. With a
      laptop running Ethereal connected to the same cable and port, I saw all
      traffic.

      I have no iptables firewalls in use. I'm running OpenDebianSlug built
      off ftp.debonaras.org (sarge), with latest updates on 2.6.12.2.

      Am I missing something obvious?

      - Bob