Re: Ruining 160GB lacie for second time

  • Mark Hood
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Lennart B?rjeson
      <Lennart.Borjeson@c...> wrote:

      > Dreadful. I've had two Lacie Porsche P2 250GB drives on my
      > slug, and they've both failed with massive read and write
      > failures.

      I have the same setup, 2 Lacie Porsche 250GB drives attached
      to my slug, stacked, in my stereo cabinet. How long did it
      take before your disks failed? Mine have been running 24/7
      since the middle of March, I guess about 8 months...

      The drive mechanisms are a WDC WD2500JB in one and a
      Maxtor 6B250R0 in the other.

      Thanks -- Mark
    • Lennart Börjeson
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 9, 2005
        Both contained a Maxtor Maxline II. I'm guessing it's a heat issue---both
        drives runs very hot, almost too hot to touch. The casing looks like
        aluminium but is actually plastic.

        /Lennart

        --
        !++
        ! Lennart Börjeson
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 9, 2005
          The first failed after about three months, the second two months later. And
          all Lacie disks can't be that bad or they would have been out of business
          long ago...

          /Lennart

          --
          !++
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 2005
            <Lennart.Borjeson@c...> wrote:
            > The first failed after about three months, the second two
            > months later. And all Lacie disks can't be that bad or they
            > would have been out of business long ago...

            Thanks for the additional data points.

            I'm running Unslung 4.20 and I have the second disk mirroring the
            first using rsync (as suggested in the Wiki for replacing the
            drivertodrivercp linksys backup utility). Assuming that one of
            my Lacie disks will fail soon, and not both at the same time, I'm
            wondering what I actually need to do recover gracefully.

            If the disk the slug boots from dies, I had sort of thought that
            I would just be able to swap the mirror for the boot disk, get a
            new mirror, reboot, and resync. But that probably won't work if
            the boot partition isn't in the correct place, right?

            Does rsync handle this correctly? I use rsync like this for the
            backup:

            rsync -a -v --delete --no-detach /share/hdd/conf/ /share/flash/conf

            Do I need to initially use dd in some way to set up the boot
            partition on the mirror, and would rsync then allow me to recover
            by just swapping in the mirror for the failed boot disk? Or is
            there a better way to recover?

            Thanks -- Mark

            > torsdagen den 3 november 2005 00.01 skrev Mark Hood:
            > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Lennart B?rjeson
            > >
            > > <Lennart.Borjeson@c...> wrote:
            > > > Dreadful. I've had two Lacie Porsche P2 250GB drives on my
            > > > slug, and they've both failed with massive read and write
            > > > failures.
            > >
            > > I have the same setup, 2 Lacie Porsche 250GB drives attached
            > > to my slug, stacked, in my stereo cabinet. How long did it
            > > take before your disks failed? Mine have been running 24/7
            > > since the middle of March, I guess about 8 months...
            > >
            > > The drive mechanisms are a WDC WD2500JB in one and a
            > > Maxtor 6B250R0 in the other.
          • Lennart Börjeson
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 10, 2005
              I had (and again have) a similar setup. (Nightly rsync backup, as per the
              wiki). I just swapped the disks when the first one failed.

              If I've understood the unslung concept correctly, the slug doesn't actually
              boot from the disk. It boots from the internal flash, then early in the boot
              process checks for an unslung disk and redirects some paths there.

              /Lennart

              --
              !++
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 10, 2005