Re: Anyone tried the Lacie d2 300GB drive?

  • Ian White
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hi Martin,

      I have *not* had good experiences with LaCie d2 320GB drive(s)
      (i.e. older, discontinued model)

      The first one, bought in November 2004,
      lasted 6 months before disk I/O failures due to overheating
      in around May this year.

      Drive was replaced under warantee but the second drive failed
      in exactly the same way just a month later in June

      I am now on instance number 3

      It is sitting on a single shelf with plenty of ventilation,
      out of direct sunlight (some chance of getting any of that in Manchester, UK anyway!)
      and the case still feels quite warm to the touch now

      So I am expecting it to fail again next summer, Sigh

      I personally will not touch another LaCie drive
      and in particular not the passively cooled one

      Also it might be of interest to note that these "drives"
      actually contain 2 physical disk drives that are concatenated
      into one logical drive which you can then partition as you desire
      but the NSLU2 will obviously have a default partitioning

      I personally would (will, next time the LaCie drive fails)
      go for a separate enclosure that holds a single drive

      I would also go for a slower spin-speed drive (5400 rpm)
      if I was going to use it in a passively cooled USB2.0 enclosure
      I would only go for a faster drive in a fan-cooled enclosure

      Just my 2p-worth

      In fact I am seriously considering a 2.5" drive
      in a passively cooled USB2.0 enclosure
      possibly USB-powered (I am happy to use *both* USB ports to power the drive
      as I will only ever use one drive with my slug)

      Does anyone have any recommendations?

      Cheers
      Ian W.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2005
        > In fact I am seriously considering a 2.5" drive
        > in a passively cooled USB2.0 enclosure
        > possibly USB-powered (I am happy to use *both* USB ports to power the drive
        > as I will only ever use one drive with my slug)
        >
        > Does anyone have any recommendations?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Ian W.

        I've used two different generic 2.5" USB-powered enclosures I purchased on eBay. Both were equipped with used 20 and 30GB older IBM 2.5" drives (the ones with the model numbers starting with "ICD", if I remember correctly), also purchased used on eBay.

        You'd think the above was a recipe for disaster, but both drives and enclosures have performed flawlessly for many months now. I *do* have a slug with the full-size 3.5" drives (a WD 250GB and a Maxtor 40GB), and while I haven't benchmarked it, I don't perceive any performance difference between the smaller drives on a slug and the bigger drives.

        The little drives I used are labeled ".5 A" current draw, but if you download the specs, you'll see that the spin-up current is usually much higher than that. That doesn't seem to bother my slugs though; I get away with one port for the drive, which frees up the second for other fun gadgets.

        Overall, if it weren't for the significantly-higher cost per gigabyte for the little 2.5" drives, it seems to me that the little ones are ideal for the slug.

        JMO...

        Mike