Re: php-cgi?

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2005
      Thanks, I have tried this. My prefork section has

      <IfModule prefork.c>
      StartServers 1
      MinSpareServers 1
      MaxSpareServers 1
      MaxClients 6
      MaxRequestsPerChild 0
      </IfModule>

      To be honest tho, I thought this section wasn't used on the slug, and
      instead it used the "worker MPM". Changing these values will reduce
      the number of processes, but there seems to be hard coded minimums.
      Here is my "Worker MPM" section:

      <IfModule worker.c>
      StartServers 1
      MaxClients 3
      MinSpareThreads 1
      MaxSpareThreads 1
      ThreadsPerChild 1
      MaxRequestsPerChild 2
      </IfModule>

      I ended up giving up on Apache and using Cherokee with a self compiled
      PHP-CGI (actually fast-cgi enabled; if anyone is interested I can send
      the binary). This seems to have all of the bells and whistles as
      apache, but runs in much less memory. PHP is substantially slower,
      however it is good enough for what I am doing (see the SLUG enabled
      http://www.thewinters.org) FWIW that page loads in .15 seconds on
      apache, and 1.1 seconds on cherokee / cgi-php. It used to take 1.7
      seconds until I did the "scrath off the resistor" speed improvement
      (great hack!).

      I am using Simple PHP weblog as a frond end, and Kplaylist as a
      lightweight music server. Everything seems to run fine with cherokee!
      Three virtual hosts, proftp, SSH, telnet, web/php, streaming music!
      This is great.
      I have proftpd going as well for a business virtual host.

      Thanks for the help!

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy" <nbm_clan@y...> wrote:

      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <jm@t...> wrote:
      >
      > > I'm trying to stream my MP3 libraries using one of the many catalog
      > > applications availible. I have had a lot of trouble getting php-apache
      > > to run without hogging a ton of memory. I always seem to end up with
      > > something like 14 processes running despite what is specify in the
      > > "worker" section of httpd.conf.
      >
      > Can you show your httpd.conf? There's some other sections in there
      > that affect that... mine has something that looks like this:
      >
      > <IfModule prefork.c>
      > StartServers 8 <------------- 8 processes
      > MinSpareServers 5
      > MaxSpareServers 20
      > MaxClients 150
      > MaxRequestsPerChild 1000
      > </IfModule>
      >
      > $ ps -u apache
      > PID TTY TIME CMD
      > 6570 ? 00:00:00 httpd <----- surprise!
      > 6571 ? 00:00:00 httpd <
      > 6572 ? 00:00:00 httpd <
      > 6573 ? 00:00:00 httpd <
      > 6574 ? 00:00:00 httpd <
      > 6575 ? 00:00:00 httpd <
      > 6576 ? 00:00:00 httpd <
      > 6577 ? 00:00:00 httpd <
      >
      > Check that guy out, there's some other stuff in there too though.

    • pmankuzh
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2005
        Mike,

        Would you mind sending me the binary you have compiled for using
        Cherokee. I wanted to set up NSLU2 mainly for serving to my
        ShowCenter and also as a music server for a RIO Audio Server, using
        Ampache. I had limited success to get all these working together
        and also poor performance. Part of the issue is that I am not very
        technical. Apache appears to be resource heavy for my needs.

        I tried php-thttpd and AppWeb also, could not get them to work with
        PHP (specifically some issues with my set up for SwissCenter app and
        Ampache).

        I also would like the PHP web server (NANO WEB) but will require it
        to be re-compiled for NSLU2 to have the CLI support. HTTPI is
        another web server (PERL based) for which some RIO Server apps are
        available. I ran into some problem when I installed xinetd, I am no
        longer able to access using Telnet. Looks like I need to reflash
        the firmware and start all over again.

        Does the php ipkg for NSLU2 include CLI support?

        Thanks.

      • Mike Winter
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2005
          pmankuzh wrote:

          >Mike,
          >
          >Would you mind sending me the binary you have compiled for using
          >Cherokee.

          Sure, the file is availible at:

          http://www.thewinters.org/php-fcgi.tar.gz

          You'll probably need the whole PHP package installed as well.
          Just a note, cherokee idiotically hardcodes the path to PHP. The
          executable must be in:
          /usr/lib/cgi-bin

          Good luck!
          --Mike

          >I wanted to set up NSLU2 mainly for serving to my
          >ShowCenter and also as a music server for a RIO Audio Server, using
          >Ampache. I had limited success to get all these working together
          >and also poor performance. Part of the issue is that I am not very
          >technical. Apache appears to be resource heavy for my needs.

          Heh, I have a Rio Receiver conected to Ampache as well. I tried to get
          Ampache running on the NSLU2, but I couldn't get it to work. I have
          been running this setup on an old 200Mhz laptop, and I always had some
          trouble getting the perl scripts to run fast enough to have a responsive
          user interface. Which Rio firmware do you use?

          >I tried php-thttpd and AppWeb also, could not get them to work with
          >PHP (specifically some issues with my set up for SwissCenter app and
          >Ampache).
          >
          >I also would like the PHP web server (NANO WEB) but will require it
          >to be re-compiled for NSLU2 to have the CLI support. HTTPI is
          >another web server (PERL based) for which some RIO Server apps are
          >available. I ran into some problem when I installed xinetd, I am no
          >longer able to access using Telnet. Looks like I need to reflash
          >the firmware and start all over again.

          You should probably install OPENSSH if you can get back in. As I
          remember, xinet.d by default limits connections to 192.168.1.0/24 (see
          /opt/etc/xinet.conf), which would disable telnet if your network setup
          is other that 192.168.1.*. If it is, you might be able to change the
          IP address of another machine on your network to 192.16.1.XXX, and you
          might be able to telnet back in.

          >Does the php ipkg for NSLU2 include CLI support?

          I believe that the php ipkg includes CLI support only. I don't know why
          they didn't include CGI/FCGI since it compiles automatically in the build.

          Good luck!
          --Mike

          Note: please send any further e-mails to winter@.... This
          is a junkmail account.

        • pmankuzh
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mike Winter <jm@t...> wrote:
            --- message continues below ---

            Mike,

            Thanks for your info and help.

            - I have PHP package installed, I will try your binary when I get
            home.
            - I am using tRIO 1.5 for the RIO. Though I got Ampache working on
            the SLUG working, I did not try to to connect RIO to it yet. I will
            be trying it later. May be my lack of technical skills, I could not
            get Ampache working on any port other than 80; main page will work,
            but follow up links will not include the port in the URL and would
            break. (So I moved the SLUG admin interface pages to another port)
            - As regards Telnet breaking, you are absolutely right. I did not
            have OpenSSH and the SLUG is on 192.168.0.10. I will fix it based
            on your suggestions.
            - I will try NANOWEB since the PHP includes CLI support.

            Thanks.

          • Jochen Rüter
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2005
              Hi there,

              I'm also trying to get php up and running, however I'm on openslug.

              Did anyone build the mod_php for apache? I think this would be best for me.
              I tried to modify the bb-file for php to build the module and then
              crosscompile on my debian box. However, the configure script said
              "compiler cannot create executables". Anyone an idea?
              Or even better: has somebody a binary ready?

              I also tried with thttpd and the binary from the php-package via cgi, i
              wrote a little shell-script as a wrapper, which calls the binary. This
              works for simple scripts, but not for POST-request...

              Thanks for any help,

              Jochen
            • Øystein Hansen
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2005
                After I have installed Oww, started OwwNoGui in interactive mode and
                executed the change to USB driver command I get the error messages. And on
                response from any 1-wire network.

                Does anyone have an idea on what is wrong?

                Oystein H.
                qcyber.org

                Error messages:
                1-wire Error: Open COM Failed
                1-wire Error: Failed to acquire a necessary system resource

                Commands:
                # ipkg install oww
                # owwnogui -i
                devices driver usb

                UnSlung info:
                Firmware Version: V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta
                1GB Flash drive in USB port 1, "disk 1"
                DS9490R in USB port 2 "disk 2 / flash"

                UnSlung packages:

                oww - 0.81.7-1 - Oww reads from a DalSemi/AAG weather station.
                libusb - 0.1.10a-6 - Library for interfacing to the USB subsystem.

                asterisk - cvs20050508-1 - Open Source VoIP PBX System
                asterisk-sounds - 1.0.6-1 - Supplementary asterisk-sounds.
                cpio - 2.5-r2 -
                devio - r1-r0 -
                findutils - 4.1.20-r1 -
                ipkg - 0.99.148-r0 -
                kernel-image-2.4.22-xfs - 2.3r29-r2 -
                kernel-module-ftdi-sio - 2.4.22.l2.3r29-r5 - ftdi-sio kernel module; USB
                FTDI Serial Converters Driver
                kernel-module-kaweth - 2.4.22.l2.3r29-r5 - kaweth kernel module; KL5USB101
                USB Ethernet driver
                kernel-module-pegasus - 2.4.22.l2.3r29-r5 - pegasus kernel module;
                Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
                kernel-module-pl2303 - 2.4.22.l2.3r29-r5 - pl2303 kernel module; Prolific
                PL2303 USB to serial adaptor driver
                kernel-module-usbnet - 2.4.22.l2.3r29-r5 - usbnet kernel module; USB
                Host-to-Host Link Drivers (numerous vendors)
                kernel-module-usbserial - 2.4.22.l2.3r29-r5 - usbserial kernel module; USB
                Serial Driver core
                libc6-unslung - 2.2.5-r5 -
                libgcc - 3.4.4-r0 -
                libghttp - 1.0.9-1 - libghttp is a light-weight http fetching library.
                libipkg - 0.99.148-r0 -
                libusb - 0.1.10a-6 - Library for interfacing to the USB subsystem.
                ncurses - 5.4-4 - NCurses libraries
                nslu2-linksys-libs - 2.3r29-r2 -
                openssh - 3.8p1-4 - a FREE version of the SSH protocol suite of network
                connectivity tools.
                openssl - 0.9.7d-4 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries
                libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
                portmap-unslung - 5-9-r1 -
                slingbox - 1.00-r6 -
                unslung-feeds - 3.0-1 - A list of sanctioned Unslung package feeds.
                unslung-rootfs - 2.3r29-r9 -
                update-modules - 1.0-r3 -
                wget - 1.9.1-r1 -
                zlib - 1.2.2-2 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression
                system.
              • Petr
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2005
                  ØH> After I have installed Oww, started OwwNoGui in interactive mode and
                  ØH> executed the change to USB driver command I get the error messages. And on
                  ØH> response from any 1-wire network.
                  ØH>
                  ØH> Does anyone have an idea on what is wrong?
                  ØH>
                  ØH> Oystein H.
                  ØH> qcyber.org
                  ØH>
                  ØH> Error messages:
                  ØH> 1-wire Error: Open COM Failed
                  ØH> 1-wire Error: Failed to acquire a necessary system resource
                  ØH>
                  ØH> Commands:
                  ØH> # ipkg install oww
                  ØH> # owwnogui -i
                  ØH> devices driver usb
                  what about to try to write USB using capitals?

                  devices driver USB
                • Mike Winter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2005
                    Good luck! I'm tryingn nanoweb and apache now.

                  • Dave Coutts
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
                      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Petr <petr@t...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > ØH> After I have installed Oww, started OwwNoGui in interactive mode and
                      > ØH> executed the change to USB driver command I get the error messages. And on
                      > ØH> response from any 1-wire network.
                      > ØH>
                      > ØH> Does anyone have an idea on what is wrong?
                      > ØH>
                      > ØH> Oystein H.
                      > ØH> qcyber.org
                      > ØH>
                      > ØH> Error messages:
                      > ØH> 1-wire Error: Open COM Failed
                      > ØH> 1-wire Error: Failed to acquire a necessary system resource
                      > ØH>
                      > ØH> Commands:
                      > ØH> # ipkg install oww
                      > ØH> # owwnogui -i
                      > ØH> devices driver usb
                      > what about to try to write USB using capitals?
                      >
                      > devices driver USB

                      I have the exact same failure situation using Openslug 2.7 and natively
                      compiled libghttp-1.0.9 and oww-0.81.7. I have posted a question to
                      the oww project,
                      The question I have posted to the OWW project

                    • Dave Coutts
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
                        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Coutts" <mr_coutts@y...> wrote:

                        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Petr petr@t... wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hi,
                        > > ØH> After I have installed Oww, started OwwNoGui in interactive mode and
                        > > ØH> executed the change to USB driver command I get the error messages. And on
                        > > ØH> response from any 1-wire network.
                        > > ØH>
                        > > ØH> Does anyone have an idea on what is wrong?
                        > > ØH>
                        > > ØH> Oystein H.
                        > > ØH> qcyber.org
                        > > ØH>
                        > > ØH> Error messages:
                        > > ØH> 1-wire Error: Open COM Failed
                        > > ØH> 1-wire Error: Failed to acquire a necessary system resource
                        > > ØH>
                        > > ØH> Commands:
                        > > ØH> # ipkg install oww
                        > > ØH> # owwnogui -i
                        > > ØH> devices driver usb
                        > > what about to try to write USB using capitals?
                        > >
                        > > devices driver USB
                        > >
                        > I have the exact same failure situation using Openslug 2.7 and natively
                        > compiled libghttp-1.0.9 and oww-0.81.7. I have posted a question to
                        > the oww project,
                        > The question I have posted to the OWW project

                        My last posting seems to have lost the http link. Which is - http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1379951&forum_id=296766

                      • Dave Coutts
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 13, 2005
                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Coutts" <mr_coutts@y...>
                          wrote:
                          Hi Oystein

                          I have managed get past the 'COM' and 'acquire resource' by installing
                          liblockfile with ipkg.
                          I gather that owwnogui will require the file locking libary unless it
                          has been compiled with the '--disable-seriallock' option.
                          liblockfile doesn't seem to be in the ipkg package list for uNSLUng.
                          Im not sure if you are having the same problem.

                          Unfortuneately Im still not able to get owwnogui working with openslug
                          2.7.

                          The log at the bottom of this post shows the messages Im getting when
                          I set the debug to 'messagelevel 4' in the setupNG file.
                          The messages suggest the weather station isn't working.
                          However I have been able to use it with oww on a ubuntu 5.10 desktop
                          pc and with WServer and OneWireViewer on a XP Pro desktop pc.

                          The hardware I have is the Dallas(AAG) 1-Wire Wind Instrument V3.0.
                          and the DS9490.
                          The HW is new. Its still sitting on the bench waiting to be put out in
                          the cold.

                          As part of my investigation I natively complied
                          digitemp(http://www.digitemp.com) on the slug to see if it would
                          communicate with the 1-WWI.
                          I walked the 1-W device tree with digitemp and found a difference in
                          the number of devices discovered by my ubuntu desktop and my openslug
                          slug.
                          The digitemp Im using on the ubuntu desktop is installed from the deb
                          package collection.

                          root@openslug:~# digitemp_DS2490 -w -q
                          Found DS2490 device #1 at 003/002
                          2060C80000000030 : DS2450 Quad A/D Converter
                          105C2A14000800AD : DS1820/DS18S20/DS1920 Temperature Sensor
                          812ACC24000000AE : Unknown Family Code

                          dave@ubuntu:~$ sudo digitemp_DS2490 -w -q
                          Found DS2490 device #1 at 001/007
                          2060C80000000030 : DS2450 Quad A/D Converter
                          105C2A14000800AD : DS1820/DS18S20/DS1920 Temperature Sensor
                          812ACC24000000AE : Unknown Family Code
                          1DA25D0100000007 : DS2423 4Kbit RAM + Counter

                          With digitemp, the desktop pc discovers the DS2423(Anemometer) and the
                          slug doesn't.
                          The missing Anemometer is also mentioned in the owwnogui logs below.

                          This difference in discovered device makes we wonder if the problem
                          with owwnogui is slug 'speed','usb hw','power' or 'timing' related ?

                          Im interested to hear from anybody that has owwnogui working on
                          openslug or can suggest where my problem with owwnogui might be.

                          Dave
                          --- owwnogui debug messages level 4 ---
                          root@odev:~# /usr/local/bin/owwnogui -i
                          setup_oww_un_name: /tmp/oww_trx_un
                          Setup read from: /usr/local/share/setupNG
                          Devices read from: /usr/local/share/devices
                          applctn_startup_finished. Debug to "/home/root/oww_debug_log.txt"
                          Interactive? Yes
                          bound Unix socket
                          bound Unix socket
                          owAcquireEx: com = USB
                          devices_portnum_var = 0x600
                          owAcquireEx OK
                          DoAtoDConversion failed
                          Checking weather station: "Anemometer" not found
                          FindWeatherStation returned 1
                          1-wire Error: Level of the 1-Wire was not changed
                          Thermometer 1: access failed [1st go]
                          Thermometer 1: access failed [2nd go]
                          Thermometer 1: access still failing - Reinitializing serial port
                          owAcquireEx: com = USB
                          1-wire Error: Failed to initialize system resource
                          1-wire Error: Error communicating with 1-Wire adapter
                          1-wire Error: No Devices found on 1-Wire Network
                          1-wire Error: Failed to initialize system resource
                          1-wire Error: Error communicating with 1-Wire adapter
                          1-wire Error: 1-Wire is shorted
                          1-wire Error: Block Transfer failed
                          1-wire Error: Failed to initialize system resource
                          1-wire Error: Error communicating with 1-Wire adapter
                          Failed to access Thermometer 1
                          Error reading from weather station: weather_read_ws failed
                          1-wire Error: No Devices found on 1-Wire Network
                          1-wire Error: Read COM Failed
                          1-wire Error: Read COM Failed
                          1-wire Error: Read COM Failed
                          Problem with link or weather station
                          RETRY:Will restart in 5 seconds
                          ------------- end log snippet -----------------

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 20, 2005
                            I tried writing the sentence "devices driver usb" as "devices driver USB"
                            and that fixed this problem. This is tough only walled when the DS9490R
                            dongle is placed in the root USB hub.

                            As I already boot on a flash in USB port 1, "disk 1", and need an external
                            hard drive which now is connected trough a USB hub on USB port 2 "disk 2 /
                            flash" I need the DS9490R to be accessible through the USB hub.

                            The hub is up and running, and my external hard drive is working properly.
                            Has someone tried using the DS9490R with a hub, or have an idea on how to
                            solve this?

                            Best regards

                            Øystein Hansen

                            > ØH> After I have installed Oww, started OwwNoGui in interactive mode
                            and
                            > ØH> executed the change to USB driver command I get the error messages.
                            And on
                            > ØH> response from any 1-wire network.
                            > ØH>
                            > ØH> Does anyone have an idea on what is wrong?
                            > ØH>
                            > ØH> Oystein H.
                            > ØH> qcyber.org
                            > ØH>
                            > ØH> Error messages:
                            > ØH> 1-wire Error: Open COM Failed
                            > ØH> 1-wire Error: Failed to acquire a necessary system resource
                            > ØH>
                            > ØH> Commands:
                            > ØH> # ipkg install oww
                            > ØH> # owwnogui -i
                            > ØH> devices driver usb
                            > what about to try to write USB using capitals?
                            >
                            > devices driver USB

                            I have the exact same failure situation using Openslug 2.7 and natively
                            compiled libghttp-1.0.9 and oww-0.81.7. I have posted a question to
                            the oww project,
                            The question I have posted to the OWW project

                            Yahoo! Groups Links