Latest firmware upgrade - unusable performance

  • leitart
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 2005
      Hello,

      I just installed the latest Linksys firmware update (2.3 R elease
      63) (in order to get the support for NTFS and FAT32 drives that I
      plan to use)

      However after the update network access to my existing EXT3
      formatted drive is unusably slow. I see the file system on my
      network, but it takes minutes to even access a folder on the drive!
      Surprisingly if I browse and copy files via the Linksys web
      interface for the NSLU2 at 192.168.1.77 that works fine.
      Luckily I had a backup of the previous firmware. I restored the old
      firmware and it works fine as before. I am using the NSLU2 connected
      to my Linksys WRT54G router.

      It sure seems thst something is broken in the latest firmware with
      network access to an EXT3 filesystem. It definitely seems that the
      data on the disk is fine, since I can access all the data through
      the web interface. Just network browsing and transfer via Windows
      Explorer is unusably slow.

      Anybody else have this problem and find a solution yet?

      Noel
    • Bart
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2005
        I have had the same experience. Unslung 5.5 is MUCH faster than Linksys 2.3R63.

        Cheers, Bart
[...]

        Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

      • leitart
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 29, 2005
          I haven't had a chance to try Unslung yet. Can you go back to the
          stock Linksys Firmware easily after installing Unslung?
          If I need to call Linksys support later I would need to be running
          their original firmware.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bart" <bart_unlimited@h...>
          wrote:

          > I have had the same experience. Unslung 5.5 is MUCH faster than
          Linksys 2.3R63.

          > Cheers, Bart

          development Computer internet business
          > Computer internet access Computer internet privacy
          securities Computer internet help

          of Service.

        • leitart
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 29, 2005
            I just spoke to linksys and managed to resolve the problem with slow
            performance after the upgrade. Apparently you need to do a reset of
            the NSLU2 by holding down the reset button at the back of the unit
            for around 15 sec or so (use a ball point pen) until you hear a
            beep. Then shut down and restart.
            My unit is working fine now and disk performance is back to normal!

            wrote:

            > I have had the same experience. Unslung 5.5 is MUCH faster than
            Linksys 2.3R63.

            > Cheers, Bart

          • irfan29200
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005
              Same problem here. But I upgraded from R23 to R63. Which version do
              you think is the most stable and where can I get this version.

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bart" <bart_unlimited@h...> wrote:

              > I have had the same experience. Unslung 5.5 is MUCH faster than
              Linksys 2.3R63.

              > Cheers, Bart

              Service.

            • irfan29200
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2005

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2005
                  I tried this but the problem stays the same.

                  FYI, the unit responds to the "ping" immediately. The long delay is in
                  browsing the shares. Once the file transfer is started, the speed is fine.

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "leitart" <leitart@y...> wrote:

                  > I just spoke to linksys and managed to resolve the problem with slow
                  > performance after the upgrade. Apparently you need to do a reset of
                  > the NSLU2 by holding down the reset button at the back of the unit
                  > for around 15 sec or so (use a ball point pen) until you hear a
                  > beep. Then shut down and restart.
                  > My unit is working fine now and disk performance is back to normal!
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Bart" <bart_unlimited@h...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have had the same experience. Unslung 5.5 is MUCH faster than
                  > Linksys 2.3R63.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers, Bart

                • leitart
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                    Hmmm, you seem to be having the same issue that I originally had -
                    very slow browsing of the shares. This is with the latest LinkSys R6
                    firmware right?
                    This might be obvious, but are you sure that you actually did the
                    reset properly? i.e did you hear a single beep when you pushed in
                    the reset button. Note that you must press the reset button after
                    the unit is has booted up. The first time I tried the ball point pen
                    I used didn't really reach inside enough to trigger the reset. Also
                    you have to hold it down about 10 seconds at least to hear the beep.

                    If you still have trouble after this try getting in touch with
                    linksys support. They might be able to help.

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "irfan29200" <irfan@u...>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2005
                      Another thought. Try turning off the UPnP support via the web control
                      panel and see if that changes anything.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 8, 2005
                        If I MAP the NSLU2 share as a network drive on my PC, the browsing is
                        perfectly fine, the speed is good. But if I access it in network
                        neighbourhood, the browsing is unusably slow. The speed is still fine.
                        THe PING is fine in both cases.

                        Any comments.