NSLU inaccessible after unslinging to USB memory stick

  • petriojalahelsinki
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2005
      I've read throught the FAQ and other documents and browsed through the files on the
      NSLU but I just cannot figure out what's wrong.

      I have 256M USB memory stick, connected as Disk 1. Everything works fine, firmware
      installation, formatting the stick, unslinging the data to the memory stick.

      However after reboot I cannot find the NSLU on the network (tried my defined IP
      address, 1.1.1.1 and 192.268.1.1) and therefore I don't know if it's up or what's
      going on.

      I'm pretty sure this is something simple and obvious which I have just missed..
      Below is a log what I did (several times).

      Petri

      Web admin shows the firmware as:

      Server Name: LKGD61B06
      Version: V2.3R29-uNSLUng-5.5-beta
      IP Address: 172.17.2.238

      Telnet is enabled through the web and I can login as root.

      Before inserting the USB memory stick:

      # df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 6528 5324 1204 82% /
      /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5324 1204 82% /

      Formatted the memory stick through Administration / Advanced / Disk,
      now shows as:

      # df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 6528 5324 1204 82% /
      /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5324 1204 82% /
      /dev/sda2 123923 4143 118501 3% /share/hdd/conf
      /dev/sda1 56877 4131 52159 7% /share/hdd/data
      # mount
      /dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw)
      /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
      /dev/sda2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
      /dev/sda1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (rw)

      # /sbin/unsling disk1
      Target disk is /share/hdd/data
      Copying the complete rootfs from / to /share/hdd/data.
      19134 blocks
      Linking /usr/bin/ipkg executable on target disk.
      Creating /.sda1root to direct switchbox to boot from /share/hdd/data.
      # df
      Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
      rootfs 6528 5324 1204 82% /
      /dev/mtdblock4 6528 5324 1204 82% /
      /dev/sda2 123923 4143 118501 3% /share/hdd/conf
      /dev/sda1 56877 14126 42164 25% /share/hdd/data

      Now reboot for reboot and I don't know how to reach the unit again. From
      the lights on the unit one could assume everything is quite fine. No respond
      to ping 172.17.2.238 / 1.1.1.1 / 192.168.1.1 (yes, my computer was in
      the same IP space for each try ;-)

      After scratching my head for a while, I turn off the unit, deinstall the USB
      memory stick and reboot.
      Login as root.
      Install the USB memory stick.
      Check the files in /share/hdd/data/etc:

      # cat hosts
      127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
      172.17.2.238 LKGD61B06 172.17.2.238
      # cat HOSTNAME
      LKGD61B06

      Just like they were after the unsling.
    • Urban J. Cubbage
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2005
        Greetings,

        I would say you have wrong IP addresses assigned.

        Your IP address for you PC looks to be 192.168.1.1.

        But your slug IP address is 172.17.2.238.

        The slug and your local PC must be on the same subnet of 192.168.1.1 thru
        192.168.1.254. The slugs default is usually 192.168.1.77

        I am going to assume that the 172.17.2.238 is your ISP assigned IP address,
        either static or dynamic.

        Not knowing your systems network hardware (DSL/cable modem, routers/switchs
        etc) it is hard to determine what is what for IP address assignments.

        Thank You

        Urban

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • petriojalahelsinki
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2005
          The IP address 172.17.2.238 is correct. My home network is under 172.17.2/24 (which is
          part of the private address space like 192.168/16) and all the PC's, Mac's, servers and
          other IP connected equipment have address in that space, mostly through DHCP as
          dynamic or static depending on the device. They're translated to the ISP's public address
          space in the firewall.

          I don't use 192.168.x.x myself but I did try to access the NSLU2 as 192.168.1.1,
          192.168.1.77 an 1.1.1.1 which have been mentioned as default addresses elsewhere. No
          luck. The PC I used was naturally in the same IP subnet for each try.

          I now think it's quite possible that the boot from the USB stick fails for some reason.
          dmesg and /var/log/messages show the boot and other logging details from the internal
          flash but the /var directory is empty on the USB memory stick.

          When booting from external device (and it doesn't work ;-), is there a way to see what's
          happening? (Sort of replacement for console access..)

          Petri

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Urban J. Cubbage" <cubbage@p...> wrote:
          > I would say you have wrong IP addresses assigned.
          >
          > Your IP address for you PC looks to be 192.168.1.1.
          >
          > But your slug IP address is 172.17.2.238.
          >
          > The slug and your local PC must be on the same subnet of 192.168.1.1 thru
          > 192.168.1.254. The slugs default is usually 192.168.1.77
          >
          > I am going to assume that the 172.17.2.238 is your ISP assigned IP address,
          > either static or dynamic.
          >
          > Not knowing your systems network hardware (DSL/cable modem, routers/switchs
          > etc) it is hard to determine what is what for IP address assignments.
        • jpalten
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 19, 2005
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "petriojalahelsinki"
            <petriojalahelsinki@y...> wrote:

            > When booting from external device (and it doesn't work ;-), is there
            a way to see what's
            > happening? (Sort of replacement for console access..)
            >
            > Petri

            Yes, you can add a serial port and connect to it using uucp or
            hyperterminal. See http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort

            I somehow have the feeling that's not excactly what you'd like. Unless
            you are really curious and want to dig into the slug.
            Sorry if it didn't help you much.

            Jelle
          • Kamin Whitehouse
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 19, 2005
              Another alternative is to redirect the output of some
              of the startup scripts to files. Then, telnet in (if
              you can) and look at the files.

              I did this with the /linuxrc script, for example, by
              adding ">> /root/linuxrc.log" after the echo
              statements or "2>> /root/linuxrc.log" after some of
              the commands. I found that rootfs is not mounted on
              my external drive because /dev/sda1 doesn't exist when
              linuxrc tries to mount it (see my earier post),
              although I still haven't found a fix for this.

              --- jpalten <jpalten@...> wrote:

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com,
              > "petriojalahelsinki"
              > <petriojalahelsinki@y...> wrote:

              > > When booting from external device (and it doesn't
              > work ;-), is there
              > a way to see what's
              > > happening? (Sort of replacement for console
              > access..)
              > >
              > > Petri
              > >

              > Yes, you can add a serial port and connect to it
              > using uucp or
              > hyperterminal. See
              > http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddASerialPort
              >
              > I somehow have the feeling that's not excactly what
              > you'd like. Unless
              > you are really curious and want to dig into the
              > slug.
              > Sorry if it didn't help you much.
              >
              > Jelle

              __________________________________
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • cnczane
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2006
                Hear, hear. I did the same thing.

                As I am still unclear as to when linuxrc is exec'd, I
                also inserted a line at the very beginning of the copy
                I was editing to 'flag' which one it was; e.g.,
                /bin/echo "From /share/hdd/data/linuxrc..." >> /root/linuxrc.log

                BTW, the article on 'RedBoot Sequence' says:
                "4. Because there is no /linuxrc file in the initial ramdisk,..."

                http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Info/RedBootSequence

                --
                CZ

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Kamin Whitehouse <kaminw@y...>