Re: [nslu2-general] Unslinging not empty harddrive?

  • Inge B. Arnesen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
      No - your data will be preserved, but keep in mind that NSLU2 (as is any
      computer really, but maybe the slug especially) is not a good place for
      unique data - keep backups.

      best,

      -- Inge
      (who doesn't take his own advice - has nothing large enough to back up
      onto. Everything will be ok - Inch'Allah!)

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm thinking of unslining my NSLU which I have been running on the stock
      > firmware for the last year. Is this safe considering my harddrive on port
      > 1 is far from empty? Do I have to reformat the disk?
      >
      > At the moment I am running the R63 firmware from Linksys.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Thomas - Sweden
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Thomas Andersson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
        On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Inge B. Arnesen wrote:
        > No - your data will be preserved, but keep in mind that NSLU2 (as is any
        > computer really, but maybe the slug especially) is not a good place for
        > unique data - keep backups.
        >
        > best,
        >
        > -- Inge
        > (who doesn't take his own advice - has nothing large enough to back up
        > onto. Everything will be ok - Inch'Allah!)

        Oh yes! I have a backup of the data on my NSLU. I just don't want to copy
        200 Mb's of data back to the NSLU over the network unless I have to :-)

        /Thomas - has been the victim to to many harddrive failures...
      • Thomas Andersson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
          On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Thomas Andersson wrote:
          > Oh yes! I have a backup of the data on my NSLU. I just don't want to copy
          > 200 Mb's of data back to the NSLU over the network unless I have to :-)

          Gigabytes. I mean gigabytes! ;-)

          /Thomas