Re: [nslu2-general] HD Enclosure

  • Edward Luck
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
      There is a list of tested USB chassis' on the NSLU2 website. It's in the
      wiki somewhere, buried. It has a list of known working external drive
      chassis'. Personally, I have a Vantec NexStar 2 USB&Firewire chassis and
      it's been super reliable. The downside is that it's a plastic case so in
      summer it might not be too good. Vantec have a NexStar 3 unit which is
      aluminium, and I think it's also been proven.

      On 10/4/05, Oisín Kenny <oisin.kenny@...> wrote:

      > Yeah, the drive is fine. I don't have a fullsize system to connect it to
      > but
      > when connected to my laptop through USB Scandisk reports no issues.
      > Any ideas on the best enclosure to use?
      >
      > On 03/10/05, Lennart Börjeson <Lennart.Borjeson@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Are you really sure the drive is OK? I put both drives from my failed
      > > Lacie
      > > boxes derectly on the IDE bus in my PC, and while this sped up the
      > > recovery
      > > process, they still logged lots and lots of bad reads.
      > >
      > > BTW, my drives turned out to by Maxtor Maxline II.
      > >
      > > /Lennart
      > >
      > > fredagen den 30 september 2005 21.27 skrev Oisín Kenny:
      > > > Hi all,
      > > >
      > > > I along with everybody else (it seems) that bought the Porsche 250gig
      > > USB2
      > > > drive have problems witht the NSLU2 and network drive disappearing,
      > > corrupt
      > > > files etc......
      > > > This external unit however has a perfectly Seagate 7200rpm drive
      > inside,
      > > > therefore I'd like to remove it from the case and fit it to a new
      > case.
      > > > Can someone reccomend what the best USB2 enclosure for the Seagate 250
      > > gig
      > > > drive to use with the NSLU2 would be??
      > > > I'd like one tat6 looks reasonably good, is obviously compatible and
      > > > reliable!
      > > >
      > > > Thanks guys,
      > > >
      > > > Oisín

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > > --
      > > !++
      > > ! Lennart Börjeson
      > > ! Partner, Developer
      > > ! Cinnober Financial Technology AB
      > > ! Industrigatan 2A
      > > ! S-112 46 STOCKHOLM
      > > ! Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suède
      > > ! mailto:Lennart.Borjeson@...
      > > ! phone:+46-8-50304717
      > > ! gsm:+46-70-3394717
      > > ! fax:+46-8-50304701
      > > ! http://www.cinnober.com
      > > !--
      > >

      > --
      > Oisín

    • Aaron Hoyt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
        Similar to you, I got a drive with a bad case. It was an EZQuest Cobra
        120GB drive. The first one died within a week, and after fighting for a
        month with the replacement drive it finally went down for good. I gave up
        on the warranty and purchased an inexpensive but cool looking transparent
        enclosure from Cyberguys PN#1630173 for $35, transferred the HD and it has
        been rock solid for 2 months + now. The power and activity lights are out
        of this world if you like a cool look. The case is plastic though, so
        because I stand it on edge I pulled the top edge off and cut some cooling
        slots in it (just in case the fan dies). It sits beside the Maxtor One
        Touch 250 that is it's backup also connected to my Slug.
        The Maxtor is only used for backup once a night and it spins down during the
        day. The other drive gets heavy use by engineers using solidworks, AutoCad
        and Office applications, not to mention that I use it as a deployment point
        for installing the mentioned software. It has not shown any signs of
        distress. Granted 2 months is not long, but if nothing else take this as a
        serious vote against EZQuest.