Re: [nslu2-general] Hard disk spindown.

  • Robert Hammond
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      In message <dhs5mg+3j6t@...>, j_ohare2003 <john@...>
      writes
      >I have followed various posts on creating ram disks etc with the goal
      >of allowing my harddrive to spindown when it wasn't busy. My drive is
      >a "Western Digital 80g Essentials".
      >
      >So far I have failed to see it spin down. As part of my tests I
      >connected the drive to my nslu2, after it had booted without a drive
      >attached. In this condition the drive spins up when connected and then
      >after a period of time spins down. This leads me to think the drive is
      >capable of spining down when the nslu2 doesn't do i/o to it.
      >
      >Anyone know what I might be missing in spinning down the harddrive
      >when it is the boot device?
      >I think the output below shows my ram disks are OK:
      ># cat /proc/mounts
      >rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
      >/dev/root /initrd jffs2 rw 0 0
      >/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw 0 0
      >/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
      >usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
      >/dev/sda1 /var.state ext3 rw 0 0
      >ramfs /var ramfs rw 0 0
      >ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt ramfs rw 0 0
      >/dev/sda1 /dev.state ext3 rw 0 0
      >ramfs /dev ramfs rw 0 0
      >/dev/sda1 /share/hdd/data ext3 rw 0 0
      >/dev/sda2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 rw,sync 0 0
      >#
      >I have tried:
      >mount /dev/sda1 -o remount,noatime
      >again without the desired outcome.

      ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt ramfs rw 0 0 is incorrect, there must be
      something wrong with your script. Perhaps a missing /bin/umount
      /mnt/tmpmnt

      Also remounting the drive with noatime works for me. I use the
      following rc script saved in the disk /unslung folder
      Script name /unslung/rc.local

      #! /bin/sh
      # Remount sda1 with noatime
      /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
      /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
      return 1
      #

      There are no doubt many optware packages that will stop a disk spinning
      down. The ps command should give a list of the modules loaded.

      --
      Robert Hammond
      PGP:0x154144DA