Hard disk spindown.

  • j_ohare2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      I have followed various posts on creating ram disks etc with the goal
      of allowing my harddrive to spindown when it wasn't busy. My drive is
      a "Western Digital 80g Essentials".

      So far I have failed to see it spin down. As part of my tests I
      connected the drive to my nslu2, after it had booted without a drive
      attached. In this condition the drive spins up when connected and then
      after a period of time spins down. This leads me to think the drive is
      capable of spining down when the nslu2 doesn't do i/o to it.

      Anyone know what I might be missing in spinning down the harddrive
      when it is the boot device?
      I think the output below shows my ram disks are OK:
      # cat /proc/mounts
      rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
      /dev/root /initrd jffs2 rw 0 0
      /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw 0 0
      /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
      usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
      /dev/sda1 /var.state ext3 rw 0 0
      ramfs /var ramfs rw 0 0
      ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt ramfs rw 0 0
      /dev/sda1 /dev.state ext3 rw 0 0
      ramfs /dev ramfs rw 0 0
      /dev/sda1 /share/hdd/data ext3 rw 0 0
      /dev/sda2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 rw,sync 0 0
      #
      I have tried:
      mount /dev/sda1 -o remount,noatime
      again without the desired outcome.

      Cheers, John.
    • Robert Hammond
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
        In message <dhs5mg+3j6t@...>, j_ohare2003 <john@...>
        writes
        >I have followed various posts on creating ram disks etc with the goal
        >of allowing my harddrive to spindown when it wasn't busy. My drive is
        >a "Western Digital 80g Essentials".
        >
        >So far I have failed to see it spin down. As part of my tests I
        >connected the drive to my nslu2, after it had booted without a drive
        >attached. In this condition the drive spins up when connected and then
        >after a period of time spins down. This leads me to think the drive is
        >capable of spining down when the nslu2 doesn't do i/o to it.
        >
        >Anyone know what I might be missing in spinning down the harddrive
        >when it is the boot device?
        >I think the output below shows my ram disks are OK:
        ># cat /proc/mounts
        >rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
        >/dev/root /initrd jffs2 rw 0 0
        >/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw 0 0
        >/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
        >usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
        >/dev/sda1 /var.state ext3 rw 0 0
        >ramfs /var ramfs rw 0 0
        >ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt ramfs rw 0 0
        >/dev/sda1 /dev.state ext3 rw 0 0
        >ramfs /dev ramfs rw 0 0
        >/dev/sda1 /share/hdd/data ext3 rw 0 0
        >/dev/sda2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 rw,sync 0 0
        >#
        >I have tried:
        >mount /dev/sda1 -o remount,noatime
        >again without the desired outcome.

        ramfs /mnt/tmpmnt ramfs rw 0 0 is incorrect, there must be
        something wrong with your script. Perhaps a missing /bin/umount
        /mnt/tmpmnt

        Also remounting the drive with noatime works for me. I use the
        following rc script saved in the disk /unslung folder
        Script name /unslung/rc.local

        #! /bin/sh
        # Remount sda1 with noatime
        /bin/echo "Remounting /dev/sda1 with noatime"
        /bin/mount -o remount,rw,noatime /dev/sda1
        return 1
        #

        There are no doubt many optware packages that will stop a disk spinning
        down. The ps command should give a list of the modules loaded.

        --
        Robert Hammond
        PGP:0x154144DA