Which Disks to Use for 24x7

  • Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr - Software
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      Greetings,

      I'm using my NSLU2 as a home media server, currently with a Maxtor
      OneTouch disk connected. This type of disk isn't designed for continuous
      operation, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a more robust device
      like a Maxline III or similar. Can anyone give me some recommendations
      on IDE disk(s) for this purpose?

      Thanks,
      --
      <http://www.java.com> *Per-Olof Litby*
      Practice Manager - Software

      Calendar Here (Sun Only)
      <http://namefinder/NameFinder?nfquery=-s+23213&view=calendar>
      <http://www.java.com>
    • realpsychodad
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Per-Olof Litby - Practice Mgr -
        Software - Central/North Europe - Sun Microsystems <politby@s...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm using my NSLU2 as a home media server, currently with a Maxtor
        > OneTouch disk connected. This type of disk isn't designed for
        continuous
        > operation, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a more robust device
        > like a Maxline III or similar. Can anyone give me some
        recommendations
        > on IDE disk(s) for this purpose?

        Hi

        I just bought one with 5Y waranty....

        by

        Psychodad
      • emm_is
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
          > > I'm using my NSLU2 as a home media server, currently with a Maxtor
          > > OneTouch disk connected. This type of disk isn't designed for
          > continuous

          you could, like I have in the past, set the spindown for the drive and
          run the nslu2 off a 256Mb flash drive.

          Hopefully soon, at least with openslug, we will be able to set the
          primary drive's spin down and place /var on a ramdisk etc. The kernel
          work is going on now.