HD Enclosure

  • Oisín Kenny
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi all,

      I along with everybody else (it seems) that bought the Porsche 250gig USB2
      drive have problems witht the NSLU2 and network drive disappearing, corrupt
      files etc......
      This external unit however has a perfectly Seagate 7200rpm drive inside,
      therefore I'd like to remove it from the case and fit it to a new case.
      Can someone reccomend what the best USB2 enclosure for the Seagate 250 gig
      drive to use with the NSLU2 would be??
      I'd like one tat6 looks reasonably good, is obviously compatible and
      reliable!

      Thanks guys,

      Oisín

    • Lennart Börjeson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        Are you really sure the drive is OK? I put both drives from my failed Lacie
        boxes derectly on the IDE bus in my PC, and while this sped up the recovery
        process, they still logged lots and lots of bad reads.

        BTW, my drives turned out to by Maxtor Maxline II.

        /Lennart

        --
        !++
        ! Lennart Börjeson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
          Yeah, the drive is fine. I don't have a fullsize system to connect it to but
          when connected to my laptop through USB Scandisk reports no issues.
          Any ideas on the best enclosure to use?

          --
          Oisín

        • Edward Luck
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
            There is a list of tested USB chassis' on the NSLU2 website. It's in the
            wiki somewhere, buried. It has a list of known working external drive
            chassis'. Personally, I have a Vantec NexStar 2 USB&Firewire chassis and
            it's been super reliable. The downside is that it's a plastic case so in
            summer it might not be too good. Vantec have a NexStar 3 unit which is
            aluminium, and I think it's also been proven.

            On 10/4/05, Oisín Kenny <oisin.kenny@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, the drive is fine. I don't have a fullsize system to connect it to
            > but
            > when connected to my laptop through USB Scandisk reports no issues.
            > Any ideas on the best enclosure to use?
            >
            > On 03/10/05, Lennart Börjeson <Lennart.Borjeson@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Are you really sure the drive is OK? I put both drives from my failed
            > > Lacie
            > > boxes derectly on the IDE bus in my PC, and while this sped up the
            > > recovery
            > > process, they still logged lots and lots of bad reads.
            > >
            > > BTW, my drives turned out to by Maxtor Maxline II.
            > >
            > > /Lennart
            > >
            > > fredagen den 30 september 2005 21.27 skrev Oisín Kenny:
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > I along with everybody else (it seems) that bought the Porsche 250gig
            > > USB2
            > > > drive have problems witht the NSLU2 and network drive disappearing,
            > > corrupt
            > > > files etc......
            > > > This external unit however has a perfectly Seagate 7200rpm drive
            > inside,
            > > > therefore I'd like to remove it from the case and fit it to a new
            > case.
            > > > Can someone reccomend what the best USB2 enclosure for the Seagate 250
            > > gig
            > > > drive to use with the NSLU2 would be??
            > > > I'd like one tat6 looks reasonably good, is obviously compatible and
            > > > reliable!
            > > >
            > > > Thanks guys,
            > > >
            > > > Oisín

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            > > --
            > > !++
            > > ! Lennart Börjeson
            > > ! Partner, Developer
            > > ! Cinnober Financial Technology AB
            > > ! Industrigatan 2A
            > > ! S-112 46 STOCKHOLM
            > > ! Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suède
            > > ! mailto:Lennart.Borjeson@...
            > > ! phone:+46-8-50304717
            > > ! gsm:+46-70-3394717
            > > ! fax:+46-8-50304701
            > > ! http://www.cinnober.com
            > > !--
            > >

            > --
            > Oisín

          • Aaron Hoyt
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
              Similar to you, I got a drive with a bad case. It was an EZQuest Cobra
              120GB drive. The first one died within a week, and after fighting for a
              month with the replacement drive it finally went down for good. I gave up
              on the warranty and purchased an inexpensive but cool looking transparent
              enclosure from Cyberguys PN#1630173 for $35, transferred the HD and it has
              been rock solid for 2 months + now. The power and activity lights are out
              of this world if you like a cool look. The case is plastic though, so
              because I stand it on edge I pulled the top edge off and cut some cooling
              slots in it (just in case the fan dies). It sits beside the Maxtor One
              Touch 250 that is it's backup also connected to my Slug.
              The Maxtor is only used for backup once a night and it spins down during the
              day. The other drive gets heavy use by engineers using solidworks, AutoCad
              and Office applications, not to mention that I use it as a deployment point
              for installing the mentioned software. It has not shown any signs of
              distress. Granted 2 months is not long, but if nothing else take this as a
              serious vote against EZQuest.