Newbie help, Please

  • comeonthespurs2003
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2005
      Hi

      could someone please help me with this, i dont have the first clue of
      linux and just want to get my itunes server set up, lol. I have
      unslung the box and gained telnet access (although not with the hard
      disk plugged in, i cant make sense of the tutorial, sorry). Could
      someone please explain why my box cannot find the ipkg file, this is
      the telnet output.

      FILESERVER login: root
      Password:
      No directory, logging in with HOME=/

      BusyBox v0.60.4 (2004.07.01-03:05+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
      Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

      # ipkg update
      ipkg: No such file or directory
      #
      #
    • Dan Scott
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
        Hi,

        > unslung the box and gained telnet access (although not with the hard
        > disk plugged in, i cant make sense of the tutorial, sorry). Could
        > someone please explain why my box cannot find the ipkg file, this is
        > the telnet output.

        > # ipkg update
        > ipkg: No such file or directory
        > #
        > #

        As far as I remember, ipkg is deliberately disabled until you have
        unslung to a disk. You will quickly run out of disk space if you don't
        unsling to a disk. What is the problem with unslinging?

        Thanks,

        Dan
      • Paul Braham
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
          i have followed all the steps of the tutorial and have unslung to disk. i
          just cannot gain telnet access with the disk plugged in from boot, i have to
          unplug it first so the telnet password is uNSLUng.

          Thanks for the help

          Paul

          --
          Aurora Lights
          www.auroralightsband.com <http://www.auroralightsband.com>

        • Ludo
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 28, 2005
            Hi Paul,

            This is because you formatted the disk using default firmware. You should format it using uNSLUng firmware, which sets the password to uNSLUng default.
            You can also change your password yourself. Please read older messages regarding changing password.

            Best regards,

            Ludo

            --
            Aurora Lights
            www.auroralightsband.com <http://www.auroralightsband.com>

            Computer internet access Computer internet privacy securities Computer internet help

          • Dan Scott
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
              Hi,

              Paul Braham wrote:
              > i have followed all the steps of the tutorial and have unslung to disk. i
              > just cannot gain telnet access with the disk plugged in from boot, i have to
              > unplug it first so the telnet password is uNSLUng.

              The answer is a FAQ:
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/CantTelnetToMyNewlyUnslungNSLU2

              Please check the Wiki before asking questions.

              Thanks,

              Dan
            • artartxx
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
                try this:

                To do this for a slug using an Unslung disk plugged into USB port 1,
                run these commands:

                passwd
                cp /etc/passwd /share/hdd/conf/passwd

                To do this for a slug using an Unslung disk plugged into USB port 2,
                run these commands:

                passwd
                cp /etc/passwd /share/flash/conf/passwd