Re: Too many problems with NSLU2

  • Scott J. Lopez
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23 8:14 PM
      well i'm able to mount mine, out of the box, on a linux box (running gentoo) with the following command:

      mount -t smbfs "//192.168.1.70/Disk 1" /mnt/nslu2 -o username=name,password=pass

      you'll have to modify the command for your situation, but here's a breakdown:

      mount -t smbfs <<- standard mount command, filesystem type "smbfs" for samba

      "//192.168.1.70/Disk 1" <<- the address the server is at and the share I am mounting. Yes, you need the quotes if the share has a space or other funny character in the name to keep the shell from interperting it. "Disk 1" was the default name my nslu2 set up and I haven't gotten around to changing it.

      /mnt/nslu2 <<- where you want it mounted

      -o username=name,password=pass <<- tells the mount command some options, this being the user name i want to log in with as well as the password. doesn't hurt to provide both unless you're using all guest accounts.

      hope this helps

      --scott

    • steve@w5sdc.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 23 9:15 PM
        try smbmount

        > Steve,
        >
        > Thanks. Have tried your suggestion and it doesn't work for me. My
        > linus is RedHat AS 2.1. The command I type is
        >
        > mount //192.168.2.103/gcmartin3 /san -o password=xyx
        >
        > It reports a message "special devise //192.168.2.103/gcmartin3' does
        > not exist. That's the share that's on the NSLU2 and the proper
        > password. I've also tried to mount disk1 but received the same
        > message. I can ping 192.168.2.103 with no problem.
        >
        > Help!
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Regards
        > Greg
        >
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "w5sdc" wrote:
        > > > I have a linux box that I'm experimenting with. Can anyone
        > > provide
        > > > some step-by-step instructions for accessing the NSLU2 from
        > > linux?
        > > > I'd prefer to start using it from Linux.
        > >
        > > Here's an example from my system running RH 9
        > >
        > > [root@linux root]# mount //192.168.1.77/public /backup -o password=
        > >
        > > [root@linux root]# ls /backup
        > >
        > > boot.txt filesys mac NSLU2 board
        > > rear.jpg
        > > Family Pictures Grand Canyon NSLU2 board front.jpg wed
        > >
        > > [root@linux root]#
        > >
        > > public is the name of a share I defined on the NSLU2 that is
        > > accesible to the world. The ip address is the factory default of
        > the
        > > box as well. (I have been too lazy to put the NSLU2 in the hosts
        > > file)
        > >
        > > If you prefer an X-11 frontend, may I suggest LinNeighborhood.
        > >
        > > works great with my NSLU2 and the rest of the machines on my
        > network.
        > >
        > > http://java.thn.htu.se/~toor/misc/rpms/
        > >
        > > good luck!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
      • greg_martin_iii
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 24 3:09 AM
          Scott,

          Thanks. That did the trick. Works great for me.

          I'd like to mount it automatically. Can you tell me what the entry
          will be for fstab?

          Thanks

          Regards
          Greg