Re: OpenSlug: ipkg -> segmentation faults ?

  • lew1193
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 20, 2005
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "lew1193" <lew001@g...> wrote:

      > I think I have a very sick slug... (file size OK). Will Linksys
      > want a reason for return? How do I convince them there's really
      > a H/W problem? Can I activate FTP on R63 with no disk, and ftp
      > to/from the slug's tmpfs (to show corruption -- surely it also has
      > a tmpfs)?

      I think this is a true H/W error.

      In the tmpfs (RAM) of the slug (under OpenSlug), I created (with
      repeated cat) a ~ 1MB file containing a repetition of the same
      line, eg. "0123456789abcdef" (plus LF gives 17 bytes, a prime
      number).

      Then I copied (using cp(1)) this file to toto1, toto2, and so on
      (still in tmpfs), checking md5sums each time. At toto8, the first
      invalid md5sum appeared. Continued for a few more copies. Then I
      did following on all files that report invalid md5sums:

      grep -n -v 0123456789abcdef toto8 ...

      This returns a few bad lines. Notice that the errored bytes are
      the original ones with the top bit set to 1.

      toto8:12813:0123456·89abcdef
      toto8:30161:012³456789abcdef
      toto8:33233:012³456789abcdef

      toto9:17150:012345¶789abcdef
      toto9:32088:0123456789abãdef

      Other tests with different patterns show similar results.

      It's a single bit here and there so this suggests that it's
      unlikely to be memory config confusion. Other than the fact that
      it's always the top bit at an odd byte position in the file that
      gets corrupted, I haven't been able to see a clear pattern.

      If confirmed, this will be the single most expensive bit of my
      career :-). I have spent hours trying to figure out why the
      device had data corruption problems...

      I wonder if there are boot-time options to do a more thorough
      memory check and exclude bad areas?

      Cheers,
      Pierre