Re: server not accessible

  • med_texas
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "schja01" <schja01@y...> wrote:

      > Did you change IP addresses in the move?
      > I'll assume yes.
      > Perhaps you have a DNS Server, WINS or Host file that needs
      updating?

      The computers changed IP addresses initially, but I reconfigured mine
      to the same static IP address as before. The NSLU2 unit stayed the
      same (192.168.1.12). I am using a Linksys router. All computers are
      XP Pro. How would I go about updating any of those files?
    • schja01
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "med_texas" <doug@t...> wrote:

        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "schja01" <schja01@y...>
        wrote:

        > > Did you change IP addresses in the move?
        > > I'll assume yes.
        > > Perhaps you have a DNS Server, WINS or Host file that needs
        > updating?
        >
        > The computers changed IP addresses initially, but I reconfigured
        mine
        > to the same static IP address as before. The NSLU2 unit stayed
        the
        > same (192.168.1.12). I am using a Linksys router. All computers
        are
        > XP Pro. How would I go about updating any of those files?

        Edit or create a file named:

        C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

        There may be a sample in the ...\etc directory named hosts.sam to
        use as an example.
        Add a single line to the end:

        192.168.1.12 yournslu2servername

        of course replace the "yournslu2servername" as appropriate.
        You can use Notepad to edit the file it's plain text.
        See if that works.

      • med_texas
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "schja01" <schja01@y...> wrote:

          > Edit or create a file named:
          >
          > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
          >
          > There may be a sample in the ...\etc directory named hosts.sam to
          > use as an example.
          > Add a single line to the end:
          >
          > 192.168.1.12 yournslu2servername
          >
          > of course replace the "yournslu2servername" as appropriate.
          > You can use Notepad to edit the file it's plain text.
          > See if that works.

          This worked. Thanks!
        • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
            > I've had the NSLU2 working for several months. We moved offices
            > today and when I set everything back up the way it was (with
            > exception of converting all computers to wireless) at the new office,
            > I get the following error message:

            Do you have a firewall installed? Are you blocking port 135/139 on the new
            wireless network device with that firewall? Your Windows login/pass match up
            to users created on the NSLU2? How is the network doing name resolution? DNS
            server, or wins/NetBIOS resolution?

            David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
            Do you have the right computer stuff? http://tinyurl.com/ytu7z
            Funstuff: * Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies