Re: [nslu2-general] speed

  • Stuart Stegall
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
      Stuart Stegall wrote:

      >rttnmutt wrote:
      >

      >>Hi all, i've got my NSLU2 up and running on stock firm ware, only
      >>issue is that the transfer speed isn't that great (about 4 MB/s).
      >>Drive is a 250 GB, 7500 rpm, maxtor usb/firewire drive.
      >>I am using a linksys 8 port router that i suspect is the problem,
      >>has any one noticed such issues before?
      >>thanks
      >>eric
      >>

      >Please let us know which Linksys 8pt router it is.

      Also, how are you measuring this transfer speed? Using a clock and
      Windows is an exceptionally bad way of figuring speed as Windows likes
      to spend extra clock cycles doing who knows what and making it seem to
      take twice as long as it should to copy a file ;)

      By my netcat rates I can get 11.2MB/s over an HP ProCurve 2800 series
      switch (Don't we all need plenty of extra managed gigabit ports at the
      house.) and over the more realistic Samba on the NSLU2 and CIFS on the
      Linux side, I can pull 7-8MB/s. Also, these are all ready speeds from
      the NSLU2. My write speeds are 2-3MB/s slower. This seems to be my
      typical experience with the cypress chipsets even when using the USB2
      interface directly in Windows and Linux (albeit with much higher read
      and write rates.
    • rttnmutt
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
        BEFSR81B
        I measured using clock and 500 MB file and network monitor...
        eric

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Stegall <stuart@f...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
          It could definitely be the switch. The ipx seems to have some issues
          with a lot of switches. Including some that it cannot get full-duplex
          with (you can try forcing it to full-duplex). I would assume that this
          is a 8port switch built into the router (well likely it is a 5, 6, or 7
          port switch ASIC + 1-3 ports that are actually VLANs off the router's
          network interface. Many routers are done this way including the WRT54G
          (ie both ports on it are actually the same network interface they are
          just different VLANs). While this is a interesting way to create
          multiple interfaces to save a buck or two from the manufacturing cost,
          it really probably causes more problems than it is worth. Anyways, try
          using different ports on the switch.

          Also you might want make sure you can get bandwidth between two good
          100mbps interfaces ... should see a good 11.5MB/s between any descent
          interfaces (tulip/intel/3com).

          You could of course try a different dedicated switch.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2004
            Stuart-
            what would be a good 8 port router or switch?