Re: [nslu2-general] speed

  • Stuart Stegall
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
      rttnmutt wrote:

      >Hi all, i've got my NSLU2 up and running on stock firm ware, only
      >issue is that the transfer speed isn't that great (about 4 MB/s).
      >Drive is a 250 GB, 7500 rpm, maxtor usb/firewire drive.
      >I am using a linksys 8 port router that i suspect is the problem,
      >has any one noticed such issues before?
      >thanks
      >eric

      Please let us know which Linksys 8pt router it is.
    • Stuart Stegall
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
        Stuart Stegall wrote:

        >rttnmutt wrote:
        >

        >>Hi all, i've got my NSLU2 up and running on stock firm ware, only
        >>issue is that the transfer speed isn't that great (about 4 MB/s).
        >>Drive is a 250 GB, 7500 rpm, maxtor usb/firewire drive.
        >>I am using a linksys 8 port router that i suspect is the problem,
        >>has any one noticed such issues before?
        >>thanks
        >>eric
        >>

        >Please let us know which Linksys 8pt router it is.

        Also, how are you measuring this transfer speed? Using a clock and
        Windows is an exceptionally bad way of figuring speed as Windows likes
        to spend extra clock cycles doing who knows what and making it seem to
        take twice as long as it should to copy a file ;)

        By my netcat rates I can get 11.2MB/s over an HP ProCurve 2800 series
        switch (Don't we all need plenty of extra managed gigabit ports at the
        house.) and over the more realistic Samba on the NSLU2 and CIFS on the
        Linux side, I can pull 7-8MB/s. Also, these are all ready speeds from
        the NSLU2. My write speeds are 2-3MB/s slower. This seems to be my
        typical experience with the cypress chipsets even when using the USB2
        interface directly in Windows and Linux (albeit with much higher read
        and write rates.
      • rttnmutt
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
          BEFSR81B
          I measured using clock and 500 MB file and network monitor...
          eric

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Stuart Stegall <stuart@f...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
            It could definitely be the switch. The ipx seems to have some issues
            with a lot of switches. Including some that it cannot get full-duplex
            with (you can try forcing it to full-duplex). I would assume that this
            is a 8port switch built into the router (well likely it is a 5, 6, or 7
            port switch ASIC + 1-3 ports that are actually VLANs off the router's
            network interface. Many routers are done this way including the WRT54G
            (ie both ports on it are actually the same network interface they are
            just different VLANs). While this is a interesting way to create
            multiple interfaces to save a buck or two from the manufacturing cost,
            it really probably causes more problems than it is worth. Anyways, try
            using different ports on the switch.

            Also you might want make sure you can get bandwidth between two good
            100mbps interfaces ... should see a good 11.5MB/s between any descent
            interfaces (tulip/intel/3com).

            You could of course try a different dedicated switch.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2004
              Stuart-
              what would be a good 8 port router or switch?