Re: Permission Controlled Access to shares from Windows XP Pro

  • Ian White
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2004
      I have exactly this set up working just fine.

      Specifically my NSLU2+LaCie drive are now acting as a central
      file server

      I explicitly do *NOT* rely upon guest:everyone access to the share(s)

      Instead I have created one share per user
      (and thus one group per user)

      I have then granted read+write access to each share to the "owning"
      group but only read-access the other group(s)

      Then when I try and access the share Windows XP detects
      that it is not allowed "anonymous" (i.e. "guest" access)
      and then prompts for a username+password (which it
      also offers to remember in its password cache for the currently
      logged-on XP user). You obviously have to use the username+password
      that you set up on the NSLU2, not your XP username+password

      I actually *do* use some element of guest access
      because I have some shares (like MP3s) that I allow anyone/everyone
      access to

      I think the major trick here is to temporarily remove all "guest"
      access while you get the NSLU2 to force XP to prompt for
      username+password to be used

      Cheers
      Ian W.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Bush"