Re: good backups gone bad

  • Ian White
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2004
      Yep, I can confirm problem (1)
      I had three backups "aborted" last night
      because they ended up running concurrently
      due to slow network access to backup target share

      I could not edit or restart or delete them
      And because I am running unslung 1.11-beta
      a soft or hard power-cycle did not clear the problem

      So I telnet'd-in and grubbed around to find
      /share/hdd/conf/etc/mnt/backup to discover
      a directory named after each backup job and
      a file called <backup>.pid which appeared to hold
      the process ID of the /usr/sbin/backup (I think) process
      that failed

      I deleted the direcory + file and lo-and-behold
      my backup jobs were editable again

      I can *NOT* confirm the latter problem because
      I'm running 3 x XP Pro and 1 x XP Home
      (XP Home replaced Win98SE)

      Cheers
      Ian W.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "seekinshome" <dlseek@h...>
      wrote:

      > I have noticed two bugs with the backups:
      >
      > (1) if the backup fails for an "aborted" cause (e.g. "Maximum
      errors
      > occur in job 'Basement G', job is aborted."). The job will not
      > restart at the next scheduled time. Also, it cannot be edited,
      > deleted, or manually restarted. The only way around this is to soft-
      > power cycle the unit. Also, any new backups that use the same
      folder
      > cannot be scheduled, and will not start if already scheduled.
      Bummer.
      > Anyone confirm?
      >
      > (2) Every once in a while, I get a strange error (or multiple) in
      an
      > otherwise normal backup. For example:
      > "Error occurs in job 'Basement G', cannot access source

      file '//Seekins/basement_g/OLD_H_DRIVE/Pictures/Noah/121499/DSC00003.j