server not accessible

  • med_texas
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
      I've had the NSLU2 working for several months. We moved offices
      today and when I set everything back up the way it was (with
      exception of converting all computers to wireless) at the new office,
      I get the following error message:

      "\\server is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use
      this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
      find out if you have access permissions.

      The network path was not found."

      I get this message while trying to access from 3 different computers.

      I can see the server under My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft
      Windows Network/Workgroup.

      I can access the NSLU2 unit by going to the IP address
      (192.168.1.12), everything appears fine.
    • schja01
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "med_texas" <doug@t...> wrote:

        > I've had the NSLU2 working for several months. We moved offices
        > today and when I set everything back up the way it was (with
        > exception of converting all computers to wireless) at the new
        office,
        > I get the following error message:
        >
        > "\\server is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use
        > this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
        > find out if you have access permissions.
        >
        > The network path was not found."
        >
        > I get this message while trying to access from 3 different
        computers.

        > I can see the server under My Network Places/Entire
        Network/Microsoft
        > Windows Network/Workgroup.
        >
        > I can access the NSLU2 unit by going to the IP address
        > (192.168.1.12), everything appears fine.

        Did you change IP addresses in the move?
        I'll assume yes.
        Perhaps you have a DNS Server, WINS or Host file that needs updating?
      • med_texas
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2004
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "schja01" <schja01@y...> wrote:

          > Did you change IP addresses in the move?
          > I'll assume yes.
          > Perhaps you have a DNS Server, WINS or Host file that needs
          updating?

          The computers changed IP addresses initially, but I reconfigured mine
          to the same static IP address as before. The NSLU2 unit stayed the
          same (192.168.1.12). I am using a Linksys router. All computers are
          XP Pro. How would I go about updating any of those files?
        • schja01
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "med_texas" <doug@t...> wrote:

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "schja01" <schja01@y...>
            wrote:

            > > Did you change IP addresses in the move?
            > > I'll assume yes.
            > > Perhaps you have a DNS Server, WINS or Host file that needs
            > updating?
            >
            > The computers changed IP addresses initially, but I reconfigured
            mine
            > to the same static IP address as before. The NSLU2 unit stayed
            the
            > same (192.168.1.12). I am using a Linksys router. All computers
            are
            > XP Pro. How would I go about updating any of those files?

            Edit or create a file named:

            C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

            There may be a sample in the ...\etc directory named hosts.sam to
            use as an example.
            Add a single line to the end:

            192.168.1.12 yournslu2servername

            of course replace the "yournslu2servername" as appropriate.
            You can use Notepad to edit the file it's plain text.
            See if that works.

          • med_texas
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "schja01" <schja01@y...> wrote:

              > Edit or create a file named:
              >
              > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
              >
              > There may be a sample in the ...\etc directory named hosts.sam to
              > use as an example.
              > Add a single line to the end:
              >
              > 192.168.1.12 yournslu2servername
              >
              > of course replace the "yournslu2servername" as appropriate.
              > You can use Notepad to edit the file it's plain text.
              > See if that works.

              This worked. Thanks!
            • WRT54G.yg@datmail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
                > I've had the NSLU2 working for several months. We moved offices
                > today and when I set everything back up the way it was (with
                > exception of converting all computers to wireless) at the new office,
                > I get the following error message:

                Do you have a firewall installed? Are you blocking port 135/139 on the new
                wireless network device with that firewall? Your Windows login/pass match up
                to users created on the NSLU2? How is the network doing name resolution? DNS
                server, or wins/NetBIOS resolution?

                David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                Do you have the right computer stuff? http://tinyurl.com/ytu7z
                Funstuff: * Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies