HD Enclosure

  • David Courtney
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
      I bought a second (well - third technically) hard-drive enclosure* 2
      weeks ago for the extra hard-drive I had that was mostly going
      unused. I decided to use the "Backup" [Enable drive backup from Disk
      1 to Disk 2] option because I'm more concerned about my data getting
      backed up than I am with having more storage.

      My question is - what method of backup does the NSLU2 use? rsync, cp, pax?

      * I've been seeing a lot of messages on the mailing list about
      problematic HD enclosures. The hard-drive enclosure I have is by
      Coolmax and it's both USB 2.0 and Firewire IEEE 1394a. I chose the
      5.25" enclosure because it has a cooling fan. My other 3.5" Coolmax
      external enclosure gets unnervingly warm (hot!) so I decided to get
      the bigger one with the fan. Portability wasn't really an issue for
      me, though I would still prefer the smaller one if it didn't get so
      hot.

      Unfortunately I have no idea what chipset it uses. If anyone knows,
      I'd be curious to know.

      Has anyone experienced any problems with this brand? And/or this
      particular enclosure?

      I've had my 3.5" Coolmax enclosure for over a year and it has given me
      no problem under Linux either via Firewire or USB 2.0. And it worked
      with the NSLU2 so I decided to stick with what worked when getting the
      bigger enclosures.

      I've had my NSLU2 for about a month now and I haven't had any problems
      yet with the drives not showing up. (knock on wood)

      Product link -
      http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-146-019&depa=0

      (The link above is a black enclosure, but they have a silver one as
      well. I chose the black because it was a little cheaper.)

      Silver -
      http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-146-022&depa=0

      There are probably "better" enclosures available ... there are
      certainly cheaper ones. But I don't have a lot of time to waste and
      money to burn on hardware that may or may not work, so I tend to stick
      with what I have personally had success with.

      Good luck.

      -- David
    • Oisín Kenny
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
        Hi all,

        I along with everybody else (it seems) that bought the Porsche 250gig USB2
        drive have problems witht the NSLU2 and network drive disappearing, corrupt
        files etc......
        This external unit however has a perfectly Seagate 7200rpm drive inside,
        therefore I'd like to remove it from the case and fit it to a new case.
        Can someone reccomend what the best USB2 enclosure for the Seagate 250 gig
        drive to use with the NSLU2 would be??
        I'd like one tat6 looks reasonably good, is obviously compatible and
        reliable!

        Thanks guys,

        Oisín

      • Lennart Börjeson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
          Are you really sure the drive is OK? I put both drives from my failed Lacie
          boxes derectly on the IDE bus in my PC, and while this sped up the recovery
          process, they still logged lots and lots of bad reads.

          BTW, my drives turned out to by Maxtor Maxline II.

          /Lennart

          --
          !++
          ! Lennart Börjeson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
            Yeah, the drive is fine. I don't have a fullsize system to connect it to but
            when connected to my laptop through USB Scandisk reports no issues.
            Any ideas on the best enclosure to use?

            --
            Oisín

          • Edward Luck
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
              There is a list of tested USB chassis' on the NSLU2 website. It's in the
              wiki somewhere, buried. It has a list of known working external drive
              chassis'. Personally, I have a Vantec NexStar 2 USB&Firewire chassis and
              it's been super reliable. The downside is that it's a plastic case so in
              summer it might not be too good. Vantec have a NexStar 3 unit which is
              aluminium, and I think it's also been proven.

              On 10/4/05, Oisín Kenny <oisin.kenny@...> wrote:

              > Yeah, the drive is fine. I don't have a fullsize system to connect it to
              > but
              > when connected to my laptop through USB Scandisk reports no issues.
              > Any ideas on the best enclosure to use?
              >
              > On 03/10/05, Lennart Börjeson <Lennart.Borjeson@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Are you really sure the drive is OK? I put both drives from my failed
              > > Lacie
              > > boxes derectly on the IDE bus in my PC, and while this sped up the
              > > recovery
              > > process, they still logged lots and lots of bad reads.
              > >
              > > BTW, my drives turned out to by Maxtor Maxline II.
              > >
              > > /Lennart
              > >
              > > fredagen den 30 september 2005 21.27 skrev Oisín Kenny:
              > > > Hi all,
              > > >
              > > > I along with everybody else (it seems) that bought the Porsche 250gig
              > > USB2
              > > > drive have problems witht the NSLU2 and network drive disappearing,
              > > corrupt
              > > > files etc......
              > > > This external unit however has a perfectly Seagate 7200rpm drive
              > inside,
              > > > therefore I'd like to remove it from the case and fit it to a new
              > case.
              > > > Can someone reccomend what the best USB2 enclosure for the Seagate 250
              > > gig
              > > > drive to use with the NSLU2 would be??
              > > > I'd like one tat6 looks reasonably good, is obviously compatible and
              > > > reliable!
              > > >
              > > > Thanks guys,
              > > >
              > > > Oisín

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > > >

              > > --
              > > !++
              > > ! Lennart Börjeson
              > > ! Partner, Developer
              > > ! Cinnober Financial Technology AB
              > > ! Industrigatan 2A
              > > ! S-112 46 STOCKHOLM
              > > ! Sverige/Sweden/Schweden/Suède
              > > ! mailto:Lennart.Borjeson@...
              > > ! phone:+46-8-50304717
              > > ! gsm:+46-70-3394717
              > > ! fax:+46-8-50304701
              > > ! http://www.cinnober.com
              > > !--
              > >

              > --
              > Oisín

            • Aaron Hoyt
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
                Similar to you, I got a drive with a bad case. It was an EZQuest Cobra
                120GB drive. The first one died within a week, and after fighting for a
                month with the replacement drive it finally went down for good. I gave up
                on the warranty and purchased an inexpensive but cool looking transparent
                enclosure from Cyberguys PN#1630173 for $35, transferred the HD and it has
                been rock solid for 2 months + now. The power and activity lights are out
                of this world if you like a cool look. The case is plastic though, so
                because I stand it on edge I pulled the top edge off and cut some cooling
                slots in it (just in case the fan dies). It sits beside the Maxtor One
                Touch 250 that is it's backup also connected to my Slug.
                The Maxtor is only used for backup once a night and it spins down during the
                day. The other drive gets heavy use by engineers using solidworks, AutoCad
                and Office applications, not to mention that I use it as a deployment point
                for installing the mentioned software. It has not shown any signs of
                distress. Granted 2 months is not long, but if nothing else take this as a
                serious vote against EZQuest.