Re: Heres how to Copy / Write to ext2/ext3 "WAS" DEFINATE BUG !!!

  • K. Carter Sr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
      Or, if you don't want to go through all that, or use some free beta
      type programs out there like Explore2fs,ext2fsd,extifs, etc, and
      others, which by the way, don't write to ext2/ext3 formatted
      drives .

      Just fire up patition magic, plug the drive into the computers USB
      port and browse and copy from the drive all you want. Just a couple
      of notes about writing to the drive though.

      1. Partition Magic is painfully slow writing to ext2/3 formatted
      drives, that includes writing files, moving them within the drive,
      to just renaming them; writing is SLOOOOWWW.

      2. If you want relly fast writing to ext3 formatted drives, use
      ALMOST ANY PARAGON SOFTWARE program, most of them come with an
      standalone program called PATITION EXPLORER. You can easily write
      really good using that, oh, and copy, etc.. too.

      3. WARNING !!! These and other partition level programs write to the
      drive setting permissions on the things written to as /ROOT.
      In other words, everthing gets written with the uid as 0. (root),
      and gid of 0 (root).

      If you just copy off the drive, everything is left as it was.

      Unless you log in as root, you'll have to "chown" recusively -R the
      permissions back to admin (502), your username, or what ever you
      want.

      Remember, all this applies to writing to the drive, if you just want
      to access the files and copy them, fire up Paragon - Drive Backup,
      or whatever and copy away....

      K. Carter

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, WRT54G.yg@d... wrote:
      > > any idea how I can recover the data?
      >
      > Download knoppix, a bootable Linux CD. It'll load the drivers
      needed to read
      > the drive and the data on the drive. Plug the USB drive into your
      computer
      > and copy away! =)
      >
      > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
      > Do you have the right computer stuff? http://tinyurl.com/ytu7z
      > Funstuff: A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to remove
      it.